[SOLVED] Can I use medical wipe to clean thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoSSPEED

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
The title is pretty much the question, don't have anything currently except for medical wipes. It has 2% Chlorhexidine in 70% alcohol. Is it safe to use?

Solution
Should be okay. However, you can just use a dry paper towel to remove the old material and to wipe the surface clean.

You don't need "clean room" levels of cleanliness, just a good surface to apply new thermal compound.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Should be okay. However, you can just use a dry paper towel to remove the old material and to wipe the surface clean.

You don't need "clean room" levels of cleanliness, just a good surface to apply new thermal compound.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you don't want anything on there except for alcohol. so if it has anything extra then don't use it!!

i simply use a paper towel to clean it off and then a slightly damp cloth to wipe it off. let it sit for a few to be totally dry and it'll be good enough. you're putting paste back on it so it does not have to be 100% sterile.

Reactions: CountMike
Buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.
92% is best, but 70% will do.
Use something lint free to clean the surfaces. paper coffee filters do a good job.

As others have said, most anything works and any differences are minor.
But, why not do it as well as you can in the first place?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
its so hard to find actual bottles of alcohol right now. think this is why so many are wondering about alternatives. used to be able to just grab a bottle for a buck, but with the pandemic, i have not really seen any in stock for a very long time.

so i understand, the various threads we have seen looking for something else that might work. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not use anything that has any extra ingredients. The surface of the IHS is like 20,000 grit sandpaper, it's not a mirror smooth surface. Any contaminants will remain in the 'valleys'. Even when dry, the residues remain behind. This includes especially anything with astringent or oily base. Isopropyl doesn't leave any residue, that's why it's used.

Without use of isopropyl, just a good scrub with a coffee filter would be best, some have used microfiber cloths but I prefer not to take that kind of static risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.