[SOLVED] Can I use molex to power a led strip?

Aug 31, 2020
So I did it in the past, got an old psu to power 12v led strips, but if I did it with a psu that is being used for the pc, would anything happen?
And no, I can't get led strips for PCs, cuz for some reason they're reallllly expensive where I live.

Solution
So I did it in the past, got an old psu to power 12v led strips, but if I did it with a psu that is being used for the pc, would anything happen?
And no, I can't get led strips for PCs, cuz for some reason they're reallllly expensive where I live.
As long as you attach the correct wires, if 12V then yellow (5V would be red) and a black ground it should work fine, if you make an error it will damage the lights and potentially the PSU also. Insure that the PSU is off and unplugged during work until you are sure that it is done and correct.

RealBeast

Titan
As long as you attach the correct wires, if 12V then yellow (5V would be red) and a black ground it should work fine, if you make an error it will damage the lights and potentially the PSU also. Insure that the PSU is off and unplugged during work until you are sure that it is done and correct.

Solution
I did this several years ago with zero issues but I got the wiring correct. Incorrect wiring would likely have repercussions. I did it as I found some rgb kits that were used by model cars that offered more flexibility than anything in the pc market at the the time and were very well priced. Not sure it would be worth it now.