Question Can I use multiple WiFi signals to get faster or more consistent internet speed?

catfishhoward

Commendable
Jun 13, 2017
I'm at a campground which has WIFI and I want to get the best speed possible for web surfing and downloading large PDF's. Netgear genie extender shows the campground has 3 different SSID signals, when I asked them which to sign into they told me which ever has the best signal for the RV spot i'm in so maybe they have different routers in the park? I'm also willing to get a hot spot on my phone if that helps.

Is there a different extender or device that I can buy?

I currently have no built in WIFI on this computer but I have a USB port available
My PC: Window 7 Professional Service Pack 1
AMD FX(tm)-8350 - 4 GHz
16.0 GB
64-bit Operating System

Campground available WIFI signals

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I'm at a campground which has WIFI and I want to get the best speed possible for web surfing and downloading large PDF's. Netgear genie extender shows the campground has 3 different SSID signals, when I asked them which to sign into they told me which ever has the best signal for the RV spot i'm in so maybe they have different routers in the park? I'm also willing to get a hot spot on my phone if that helps.

Is there a different extender or device that I can buy?

I currently have no built in WIFI on this computer but I have a USB port available
My PC: Window 7 Professional Service Pack 1
AMD FX(tm)-8350 - 4 GHz
16.0 GB
64-bit Operating System

Campground available WIFI signals
First, based on your picture, the campground WIFI is not well implemented. The three WIFI sources should be on different WIFI channels rather than the same one.

If you don't move your RV alot, the best answer is to get an outdoor directional WIFI bridge and use it to bring the network into the RV. Something like the Ubiquiti locoM2 -- https://www.newegg.com/ubiquiti-locom2-us/p/N82E16833664012 You can mount on an short mast that you can rotate to get the strongest signal. The network is brought inside by a single ethernet cable. You can then add a switch to connect all your devices with wired connectivity. The loco can be configured as a router so your network is protected from the rest of the campground.

Reactions: catfishhoward

ASK THE COMMUNITY