[SOLVED] Can I use nVidia Graphic card with FreeSync Premium (AMD Adaptive Sync) monitor?

Astralv

Distinguished
I am looking at this monitor- I like that it is 48" wide at reasonable price by Aorus, but I will be using nVidia 3000 or 4000 graphics. Do I have to have G-Sync monitor or Free Sync could be ok too? Will be used for audio, video and photo editing, no gaming. Thank you.

Compatible means:

capable of existing together in harmony

a device (such as a computer) or system designed to be used with another device or system without modification

So basically, it works with it.

My monitors for example, which are LG Freesync monitors, work perfectly fine with G-sync on my RTX 2060 Super, so they are COMPATIBLE.

"G-sync compatible" is exactly the same thing as FreeSync, nVidia just doesn't want to use AMD's original name for it (which is the same reason Intel called their compatible 64-bit x86-64 instead of originator AMD's name of AMD64 for reasons that should be obvious). It's a software implementation that AMD got inserted as part of the Displayport 1.2a standard (first in GTX 10 series) and VESA's HDMI 2.1 standard (first in RTX 30 series).

FreeSync of course worked on AMD cards as far back as HDMI 1.2a and GCN 2.0 but was a proprietary add-on protocol back then (like Super G or 108G) requiring both an AMD certified card and monitor. Lots of proprietary protocols like TurboQAM eventually became standardized, although the final 56k v.90/v.92 was not the same as either the earlier X2 or K56Flex protocols so early adopters beware.

The original G-sync requires a proprietary hardware module in the monitor, which nVidia was very interested in selling to monitor manufacturers. It's still around, as is G-Sync Ultimate, the HDR version.

The point is, if nVidia want to advertise having Displayport 1.4 and HDMI 2.1, then they have to include FreeSync capability because it's in the standard.

nVidia will of course tell you that real G-sync is loads better because it is, at least for their wallet because then they get money from both you and the monitor manufacturer! So yes, nVidia will suggest a RTX 4090 and G-Sync Ultimate monitor for the best experience in gaming.

As you will not be gaming at all, then no flavor of G-sync or FreeSync will make any difference to you.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your replies. I thought that refresh rate of monitor and graphic card syncing may be inportant for video editing because isn't motion picture the same as the gaming? Thank you again, I ordered that monitor.