[SOLVED] Can I use one keyboard and mouse with two computers?

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi;
I am doing a new build, but will be keeping my old build as a Ubuntu box. I would like to share the keyboard and mouse between the two. I have been looking at a USB switch that would do just that, but am concerned that there will be issues.
First, what happens when a computer is booted up from power-off? If the switch is in the wrong position, I would assume this will produce a keyboard error.

If I switch the switch to the computer that I am booting, what will happen to the other system if it was already running?
I know that older versions of Windows didn't like to have a keyboard disconnected, although I might be thinking back to PS2 ports.
And what about Ubuntu (V 20.04)?
I suppose I can just unplug my keyboard from Windows, and then Ubuntu and see what happens, but it would be better if I could know this so I don't have to reach behind my PC and unplug things.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
That won't work for me. I have no VGA connections, only USB and HDMI.
I think I have a better solution to using a switch: VNC Viewer. I have been running VNC server on my Raspberry Pi 3 and viewer on my Windows 10 box for a long time. Works great!
So I just need the 'head' on the Ubuntu box until I've got VNC running. Then no more need for it, except perhaps if something goes wrong. In that case, I have a spare monitor and keyboard I can attach.

Hi;
I am doing a new build, but will be keeping my old build as a Ubuntu box. I would like to share the keyboard and mouse between the two. I have been looking at a USB switch that would do just that, but am concerned that there will be issues.
First, what happens when a computer is booted up from power-off? If the switch is in the wrong position, I would assume this will produce a keyboard error.

If I switch the switch to the computer that I am booting, what will happen to the other system if it was already running?
I know that older versions of Windows didn't like to have a keyboard disconnected, although I might be thinking back to PS2 ports.
And what about Ubuntu (V 20.04)?
I suppose I can just unplug my keyboard from Windows, and then Ubuntu and see what happens, but it would be better if I could know this so I don't have to reach behind my PC and unplug things.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

A good KVM switch will be able to handle swapping between computers and having the system detect it as it's turned on.