Can I use PCIE x4 and SATA Express together

mlm_61

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
I'm wanting to build a pc using the GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3 motherboard. It has a PCIE x4 slot and SATA Express connectors. Physically I can plug in both a PCIE x4 SSD and a SATA Express SSD, but will there be any contention regarding lanes/throughput on the motherboard if I do this? Basically, will I still get 32gb/s from the PCIE and 16gb/s from the SATA Express? I'll also be installing a GPU in the PCIE x16 slot.

Regarding SATA Express, do I need a special SSD for it or will a SATA III SSD get SATA Express speeds when plugged into SATA Express?

Thanks.

Solution
The manual of this board says nothing about utilizing a Ultra M2 PCIe x4 would disable SATA ports so I'd say it's plausible that you can use the PCIe x4 slot for a PCIe based storage device without lessen the amount of SATA ports.

Now, whether you can use the PCIe x4 slot as well as the Ultra M2 alongside those six SATA ports?
The manual also says nothing about any PCI/PCIe slot being disabled when Ultra M2 device is used so this scenario is plausible as well.

SATA Express (SATAe) is for most intent and purpose DOA. With only 2x PCIe lanes it's slower than the Ultra M2 solutions at PCIe x4 so there is no incentive to build any storage devices to use the interface therefore no SATAe devices.

Your SATA3 devices will only get SATA3...

FD2Raptor

Admirable
The manual of this board says nothing about utilizing a Ultra M2 PCIe x4 would disable SATA ports so I'd say it's plausible that you can use the PCIe x4 slot for a PCIe based storage device without lessen the amount of SATA ports.

Now, whether you can use the PCIe x4 slot as well as the Ultra M2 alongside those six SATA ports?
The manual also says nothing about any PCI/PCIe slot being disabled when Ultra M2 device is used so this scenario is plausible as well.

SATA Express (SATAe) is for most intent and purpose DOA. With only 2x PCIe lanes it's slower than the Ultra M2 solutions at PCIe x4 so there is no incentive to build any storage devices to use the interface therefore no SATAe devices.

Your SATA3 devices will only get SATA3 speed with its connector regardless if its a SATA port from a SATAe port or not.

Solution