Question Can I use Q-Flash+ with CPU on board? (Gigabyte)

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Can I update BIOS via Q-Flash+ (with a USB stick) even if there is a CPU on the motherboard, or do I have to remove it? (The motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570).

Can I do it if I have turned the computer off by pressing the power button for a couple of seconds? The computer turns off then, but the LED's are still lit.

I think I have problems with the BIOS I'm on. Sometimes the PC reboots randomly, and the BIOS resets. And now not even the Aorus logo comes up on the screen when I power the computer on. The screen is black and gets no signal. But the fans spin. (Yes, I have checked all the cables, the RAM, tried another graphics card, another HDMI cable and all that). I've read on the Gigabyte forum that others have the same or similar problems.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
OK, I read this: https://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-features.pdf It's not possible. The CPU must be removed first.

So I did what is shown in this video. I removed the CPU, RAM, GPU and all cables except the power ones. Turn on the PSU, plugged in the USB with the new BIOS (renamed GIGABYTE.BIN) and pressed the Q-Flash Plus button. Nothing happened. The LED didn't blink. :rolleyes: I waited a couple of minutes and tried again, pressed the Q-Flash Plus button for several seconds. Nothing.

I put all the hardware back in, and it's the same as before. The fans spin, the motherboard LED's are lit, but no boot. :mad:

I should have gone Intel this time. :cautious:

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
OK, with the hardware installed Q-Flash Plus worked. I just turned off the computer with the power button, so the motherboard still had power.

The Q-Flash Plus LED blinked for a while and then it blinked faster. Is that normal?

It finished blinking, but it didn't reboot. I turned the power off and then on again, but it doesn't boot. Black screen. :(

Reactions: Redriise
Jun 18, 2020
I have the Aorus Elite X570 Motherboard with my 3800X & I flash the Bios just recently to F20b ( which currently is not displayed at website for download ?)

Upon doing a fresh install of windows I always use the App Utility software flash of the Bios & have had no problems doing it this way, so far.

One of the problems I have seen with the Bios is if you have changed some hardware & hard reset the Bios & then entered Bios to adjust settings prior to booting Windows 10 is a slow down on the screen which makes the curser move really slow, so after a boot to windows this clears that problem up.
I have no clues to why this is but perhaps that is the problem with Q-Flash Plus ?

UPDATE : ( I flash the Bios just recently to F20b ( which currently is not displayed at website for download ?))

They updated the Bios to "F20", which I then downloaded to usb stick & used Q-Flash to update by pressing "end" key to instal via a usb 2 port & installed perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redriise