[SOLVED] Can I use r7 3700x on Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite?

Feb 22, 2020
I've a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite mobo and have been using r5 2600x on it without any issues, Now I wish to upgrade my CPU can I swap from a r5 2600x with a r7 3700x on that mobo? Would It be fine or a mobo upgrade is needed? Needless I don't plan on overclocking as ryzen 3000 chips doesn't have astounding performance gains while being overclocked as all of you know well.

So please help me out on this.

Solution
I already have my bios updated. Actually this is not the concern I've seen quite a lot of guys complaining about VRMs of this mobo, so I was just wondering would It go well with a stock r7 3700x without any PBO or manual overclock?
Yeah, this Gigabyte board isn't the best but it's certainly not tragically bad. What happened was Gigabyte misled consumers when they released their B450 lineup by suggesting, or even outright stating, the 4 phase VRM's they were using were 8 phase. That rankles people to be played that way so they got a bad rap for it.

In reality Ryzen 3000 CPU's are so power friendly that even a 4 phase is is very good for them. That's why most people consider the X570 boards complete overkill (VRM-wise) unless...
I've a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite mobo and have been using r5 2600x on it without any issues, Now I wish to upgrade my CPU can I swap from a r5 2600x with a r7 3700x on that mobo? Would It be fine or a mobo upgrade is needed? Needless I don't plan on overclocking as ryzen 3000 chips doesn't have astounding performance gains while being overclocked as all of you know well.

So please help me out on this.
Update to BIOS F51 (the latest) before removing the 2600x and you'll be good.

After updating and installing your 3700x I'd suggest to uninstall and then reinstall the latest chipset drivers obtained from the AMD web site. Reason being it has a conditional install that could vary depending on BIOS (AGESA) version and CPU it sees.

I already have my bios updated. Actually this is not the concern I've seen quite a lot of guys complaining about VRMs of this mobo, so I was just wondering would It go well with a stock r7 3700x without any PBO or manual overclock?
Yeah, this Gigabyte board isn't the best but it's certainly not tragically bad. What happened was Gigabyte misled consumers when they released their B450 lineup by suggesting, or even outright stating, the 4 phase VRM's they were using were 8 phase. That rankles people to be played that way so they got a bad rap for it.

In reality Ryzen 3000 CPU's are so power friendly that even a 4 phase is is very good for them. That's why most people consider the X570 boards complete overkill (VRM-wise) unless LN2 overclocking. Even a 3900X would probably sit quite comfortably on your board if you don't try the (more likely to be harmful than helpful) manual all-core overclocking.

Solution
Feb 22, 2020
Yeah, this Gigabyte board isn't the best but it's certainly not tragically bad. What happened was Gigabyte mislead consumers when they released their B450 lineup by suggesting, or even outright stating, the 4 phase VRM's they were using were 8 phase. That rankles people to be played that way so they got a bad rap for it.

In reality Ryzen 3000 CPU's are so power friendly that even a 4 phase is is very good for them. That's why most people consider the X570 boards complete overkill (VRM-wise) unless LN2 overclocking. Even a 3900X would probably sit quite comfortably on your board if you don't try the (more likely to be harmful than helpful) manual all-core overclocking.

Thanks for your help.
I'll stick with that mobo and moreover I would use 3700x at stock speeds with no manual overclock.