Can I use RG6 cable to extend BNC cable ?

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I need to move a CCTV camera. The BNC cable is not long enough. I don't want to spend money on this because it will be replaced with new wireless setup. I have a roll of spare RG6 cable . Can I just cut the BNC cable and solder whatever length I need of RG6 in between ?

kanewolf

Titan
I need to move a CCTV camera. The BNC cable is not long enough. I don't want to spend money on this because it will be replaced with new wireless setup. I have a roll of spare RG6 cable . Can I just cut the BNC cable and solder whatever length I need of RG6 in between ?
You can't easily solder coax. You cut, terminate and use barrel connectors. Your CCTV coax is probably 50ohm coax. RG6 is 75ohm. Will it probably work? Yes. Could the impedance mis-match cause artifacts? Yes. BNC fittings need a specific crimping tool.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Your CCTV coax is probably 50ohm coax. RG6 is 75ohm
Thanks impedance mismatch is what I like to confirm. I don't know how much impact will the mismatch do to the signal. As I mentioned I do not want to spend money on what is going to be replaced. I was thinking that I can joint them by just soldered the core of the BNC and the RG6, insulated the core and spliced the shields together. Yes, I will have 2 joints. But this way I do not need to buy and crimp new BNC connectors (fittings).

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Your CCTV coax is probably 50ohm coax. RG6 is 75ohm
Thanks impedance mismatch is what I like to confirm. I don't know how much impact will the mismatch do to the signal. As I mentioned I do not want to spend money on what is going to be replaced. I was thinking that I can joint them by just soldered the core of the BNC and the RG6, insulated the core and spliced the shields together. Yes, I will have 2 joints. But this way I do not need to buy and crimp new BNC connectors (fittings).

kanewolf

Titan
There is no way to confirm, since you didn't provide any specs on "CCTV coax". But CCTV is generally 50ohm.
Soldering coax. I have no idea what that will do. It will make electrical connection. Will the signal quality degrade? Unknown.