[SOLVED] Can I use the LAN ports of an access point?

benbenhor

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
I am thinking of getting a router to be used as an access point, would it be possible to use the LAN ports on said router?

Solution
The secret is the lan ports in a router are actually a small switch. Many routers still have a separate chip that is pretty much the same as you find in small switches.

So if you are connecting the ap to the main router via lan port it is the same as if you had a switch. Routers that have a AP mode convert the WAN port to a lan port. Not sure exactly how this is connected internally but in the end it is though all the ethernet ports were connected via a swich and the wifi radios also connect to the switch.

benbenhor

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
Yes. Some even turn the WAN port into another LAN port when the software has an access point setting. Asus routers work that way in access point mode.

Thanks so much for reply! But ok. So let me just get this straight to clear my doubts.

If I were to buy a router, any router that can be converted into an access point, all I would need to do is to connect it to my main router via lan cable, configure this secondary router into access point mode, and it'll extend my wifi range and I can also use the lan ports on this secondary router to connect to my devices with ethernet ports?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions but just wanted to make sure.

The secret is the lan ports in a router are actually a small switch. Many routers still have a separate chip that is pretty much the same as you find in small switches.

So if you are connecting the ap to the main router via lan port it is the same as if you had a switch. Routers that have a AP mode convert the WAN port to a lan port. Not sure exactly how this is connected internally but in the end it is though all the ethernet ports were connected via a swich and the wifi radios also connect to the switch.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks so much for reply! But ok. So let me just get this straight to clear my doubts.

If I were to buy a router, any router that can be converted into an access point, all I would need to do is to connect it to my main router via lan cable, configure this secondary router into access point mode, and it'll extend my wifi range and I can also use the lan ports on this secondary router to connect to my devices with ethernet ports?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions but just wanted to make sure.
IF you buy a random router without "access point" mode in the firmware, then you should assume that the WAN port does not work as a LAN port. You connect a cable LAN on primary router to LAN on "access point" router and then you can connect three (usually) additional wired devices. I did this at my house for a long time. I eventually chose to replace the routers with dedicated switches and access points.

benbenhor

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015

IF you buy a random router without "access point" mode in the firmware, then you should assume that the WAN port does not work as a LAN port. You connect a cable LAN on primary router to LAN on "access point" router and then you can connect three (usually) additional wired devices. I did this at my house for a long time. I eventually chose to replace the routers with dedicated switches and access points.

Ahh I see. Ok I get it now. Thanks so much guys.