Question Can I use the same XMP profile on different sticks of RAM?

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
I currently have two sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM from Kingston. Specifically, HX430C15PB3/8. I want to add two more sticks, but can't find the exact ones.

The closest ones I can find are KF432C16BB/8. These can run up to 3200 Mhz, but it also seems like their 3000 Mhz profile has exactly the same latency as the 3000 MHz profile on my current sticks. So would installing two of those allow me to select the 3000 MHz profile and actually work?

Also, if it does work, would my original set still work in dual channel if there are two more sticks populating other slots?

Lutfij

Titan
If you can't find the same kit, you should ditch the one you have in favor of a kit that matches your requirements. Mixing and matching rams have lead to people ripping their hair out off of their heads. The answer is, no, they'll very likely cause a BSoD if you do end up going into OS GUI. If not, you're not going to get POST. FYI, the ram kit with DDR4-3200MHz would net you a little more performance, regardless of going AMD or Intel for your build.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Even your two existing sticks are not from the same kit!
XMP profiles apply to the stick or kit as settings to allow the ram to run as advertised.

If, in theory, you bought two more 8gb sticks, you would have to find a set of settings that allow them all to work together. Matching 4 sticks is much harder than two.
If your motherboard is intel, and it has the ability to specify ram settings and voltage, you may be able to get things to work. If you are using ryzen, I suggest you forget it.
Ryzen is very pickly about ram compatibility.
With 4 functional sticks, either intel or ryzen, you would operate in dual channel mode.

What is your plan "B" if the new sticks do not work?
Can you return them for full refund?

Save yourself a headache and replace what you have with a 2 x 16gb supported ram kit.

Reactions: Karadjgne