Can I use two of these Xeon processors to make an "8 core" processor?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I found a cheap quad core Xeon E5506 processor on ebay and this decent-priced HP ProLiant motherboard (HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Dual Xeon Socket 1366 / LGA1366 Motherboard 599038-001) on ebay. I noticed that it has two processor sockets. Can I grab two of the aforementioned processors to populate them in the motherboard's two CPU sockets? Would this give me a total of 8 cores in one system?

Sorry for the dumb question but I don't know much about multiple CPU's in one system. Also how would I go about the ram? I already have 8gb of DDR3 ram and an HDD and SSD with a 300 watt Silverstone power supply and a GTX 1050Ti.

Could I use the rest of those components with that motherboard and two CPU's? I need a temporary CPU until I upgrade to either Ryzen or Coffee-Lake but I Don't have enough funds at the moment.

I was going to get an i3 4130 for my LGA 1150 socket but then I noticed this combo for around the same price and I only want to spend around 40-50 pounds on a CPU.

Would using a dual Xeon system be a good idea? It is only for a gaming PC to run Assassin's Creed: Origins and Battlefield 1 among a few other games like Minecraft and stuff. Any thoughts on this odd build? Or should I just get one Xeon CPU and a cheap motherboard and then sell them when I upgrade?

Many thanks in advance!!

Solution
Two or more CPU's on a motherboard are independent of each other in every way, they will not function as you intend "As a single multicore CPU". Each CPU will use separate banks of RAM, if you look at the board they have separate slots. Unless your running servers having multiple CPU's will not benefit you for 99% of commercial use. Games and common software will only use a single CPU and being that these are older they will be slower than current gen CPU's.

edited for typos

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Two or more CPU's on a motherboard are independent of each other in every way, they will not function as you intend "As a single multicore CPU". Each CPU will use separate banks of RAM, if you look at the board they have separate slots. Unless your running servers having multiple CPU's will not benefit you for 99% of commercial use. Games and common software will only use a single CPU and being that these are older they will be slower than current gen CPU's.

edited for typos

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A i5 2500K would be ideal for the 1050TI, you should have a little overclocking headroom and 4ghz shouldn't be taxing on a 300Watt power supply. That is if you motherboard supports overclocking. I find i5 2500K's here for $40-$50 US if not the i3 would be great.

sebastianpalm7

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
To answer the immediate question posed in the OP - no, this will be way more trouble than it's worth.

To go with your mainboard and CPUs, you'd most likely need:

1. A special case that fits the board, because it's probably not a standard form-factor, or if it is, it's E-ATX, which needs a big expensive case anyway.

2. Two coolers that fit the 1366 socket, because Xeons normally don't come with those. If I recall correctly, you will need special mounting adapters to use most modern coolers, because they changed things around in the early 2010s when they adopted Socket 2011, but they haven't messed with it since. I think.

3. Some version of Windows Professional - regular old Home Edition will not run on multi-CPU systems. Windows Professional is way more expensive than Home Edition.

4. A new PSU - two Xeons and their coolers will basically eat everything your existing PSU will provide, with no room for any other components. You'll need to beef it up significantly (I'd recommend doing that anyway, because any kind of Geforce GTX card will be a really tight squeeze on 300W...)

5. Basically infinite patience with resolving driver issues, because a lot of server board drivers only run on Windows Server.

---

Given the 300W PSU, an i3-4130 does sound like a decent temporary option. The PSU would be the very first component I'd replace if you're buying a system in parts - while normally people recommend not getting too much of a PSU because it's not economic, I find personally I'd rather buy a 750W PSU with a 7 year warranty and only need 450 than I'd buy a 450W PSU with a 3 year warranty and have it blow up one month after the warranty is up. But that's me. :)

The next serious step up from the i3-4130 is the i5-4440, but that thing needs 30 more watts at full power which will be really really tight. It might still work if the PSU is high quality, but... I would probably not try it.