[SOLVED] Can I use V-sync If I get a lot of frames than my refresh rate?

Feb 22, 2020
I've paired RTX 2070 Super with a 1080p 60hz Monitor (I know that's lame but I won't be upgrading anytime soon)

Whenever I play any game with no V-Sync, The game doesn't really feel smooth inspite of 100+ FPS but as soon as I enable it, Gameplay becomes smooth AF, but then I've heard that V-sync adds crazy amount of input lag (personally I haven't noticed any input lag till now with V-sync On)

My monitor doesn't even support Free Sync and I was just wondering Is it ok to have V-sync turned on in all the games or would there be any cons, If any then please tell me a way to counter it.

Thanks.

Solution
I've done it before with vsync on and 59fps. Fps remained at 59, Hz remained at 60.
When using v-sync the FPS should be dropped to 30 immediately when the gpu can’t achieve 60 when running a 60Hz screen be it a physical and artificial limitation. I’ve seen FPS limiters allow 1-2 FPS higher than what you set, I wonder if that was happening. 59fps on a 60Hz with v-sync on shouldn’t happen.
I've done it before with vsync on and 59fps. Fps remained at 59, Hz remained at 60.
When using v-sync the FPS should be dropped to 30 immediately when the gpu can’t achieve 60 when running a 60Hz screen be it a physical and artificial limitation. I’ve seen FPS limiters allow 1-2 FPS higher than what you set, I wonder if that was happening. 59fps on a 60Hz with v-sync on shouldn’t happen.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I agree, that's how Vsync should work theoretically but maybe 59fps is still in the realms of 60Hz and doesn't drop to 30. Used to do this playing Rage on a TV, used Vsync and capped fps to 59 to get rid of input lag. Using fraps at the time to monitor fps said 59.

I agree, that's how Vsync should work theoretically but maybe 59fps is still in the realms of 60Hz and doesn't drop to 30. Used to do this playing Rage on a TV, used Vsync and capped fps to 59 to get rid of input lag. Using fraps at the time to monitor fps said 59.
V-Sync adds lag. I’ve used FPS capping on TV’s and 60Hz monitors at 58-59 as a way of not needing to switch on V-Sync and introducing the lag while eliminating most screen tearing. I’d say at least try with and without v-sync.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I still had a bit of tearing without vsync. Was smoother for me anyway. As said, try both ways.

Afaik, i believe vsync input lag happens because it's working right on the refresh threshold. Triple buffering was meant to help minimise the effects but not really.

Feb 22, 2020
If my GPU can always maintain high FPS than my screen's Refresh rate then would it be a problem to enable V-Sync? I know the issue of Input lag but Will it be noticeable specially in single player games?

Feb 22, 2020
If my GPU can always maintain high FPS than my screen's Refresh rate then would it be a problem to enable V-Sync? I know the issue of Input lag but Will it be noticeable specially in single player games?