Can I use Windows 8.1 Embedded as a normal desktop operating system?

Loganrmcclellan

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
This is going to be a fairly complicated, and multifaceted question.

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor desktop running 32 bit Windows XP sp3, with a dual core 3.4 GHz Pentium D, 2 gigabytes of 667 MHz DDR2 RAM, a 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2400, an 80 GB 7200 RPM WD HDD with 16 MB cache, a 275 watt proprietary PSU, and a slim CD reader with no CD or DVD burning capabilities. Needless to say, it is a dinosaur, a jalopy, a lemon.....etc.

My issue is that XP on my system is nearly broken. The file hierarchy is a disaster, there are innumerable registry errors, boot times are glacial, and I believe that there may be viruses lurking about on my computer despite my best attempts to clear it all up with Malwarebytes, and Avast boot scan.

I do not have an XP restore disk or partition, and even if I did I have no desire to continue to use XP. I do however have a copy of Windows 8.1 Embedded that I got for free through DreamSpark.

My question is this: can I install Windows 8.1 Embedded on my computer and use it the same as I would vanilla consumer Windows 8.1

Can my system handle Windows 8.1? How would I go about installing Windows 8.1 Embedded with no CD/DVD burning capabilities? Will I be able to find Windows 8 drivers for my old dinosaur?

Update: First off, I am 100% on board with Linux, however the rest of the people in my house are not. I don't think Linux is really an option at the moment. Secondly, I did a little more poking around, and people have been saying that they have indeed installed and used Windows 8.1 Embedded as a full blown desktop OS without too much hassle, and installed Vista drivers, and ran it in compatibility mode or some such.. Can anyone else confirm?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Windows 8 Embedded is not a consumer grade OS. It is meant for a server, or maybe an ATM. Not general desktop use.

2. For that system, a Linux variant would be advised. Highly doubtful there are any Windows 8 drivers for it. Even less likely Windows 8.1 Embedded.

Loganrmcclellan

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Well as it turns out, Windows 8.1 Embedded is pretty much the exact same thing as vanilla Windows 8. I installed it not an hour ago, and I am now sitting here writing this from my Windows 8 pc. The only hitch I've encountered so far is that I can't turn off Windows Defender, but that's not really a big deal to me though. I have been installing programs and playing games, and it just......works! I haven't even had any trouble with drivers either. Now you know!

Anyway, thanks for the replies fellas!