Can I use Windows 8.1 key as windows 10 key?

bhaveshgoel07

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Hello everyone, just a curious question, I have got a laptop with windows 8.1 and I want to upgrade that laptop to windows 10.But I want to use an iso file to do so. So,will windows 8.1 key be ok to use in windows 10 and create no problems in future? I know that GWX.exe is program meant for upgrading but I will not use it instead download iso from microsoft download centre.

cosmo77

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893

If you were previously a Windows 7 or 8 user, you are eligible for a free upgrade. However, according to Microsoft, you have to upgrade an existing computer to do so. So, even if you want to do a clean install, wait for the Windows 10 update to hit your computer, then install the upgrade first. It feels like a waste of time, but it’s the only way to ensure you you get your free license. Once you’ve done so, you won’t need a key—Windows will just “know” your computer from then on, even if you erase the drive. Just skip any prompts for license keys, and after installing Windows 10 it should activate itself automatically.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Just run the upgrade from within Windows 8.1. After the upgrade is complete and Windows 10 is activated you can "Reset this PC" Chose to Remove Everything and you get a clean install.

In the future if you need to reinstall Windows you will need to reinstall Windows 8.1 then upgrade to Windows 10 again. If this is a concern it is recommended that you purchase a Full Retail license of Windows 10 and use that product code.