[SOLVED] can i

mariocyprus

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Hello guys

i searching before write here but i did't found that i am asking...

i have (Set) 2x4 GB RAM 1866 GHz dual channel..
my motherboard supporting dual channel but it has 4 slots..
can i buy the SAME SET of RAM same speed same everything and it will work as 2 dual channel ? or how it will be working ?
Also if i buy 1 same RAM 4 GB will work as dual channel + single channel ?

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P

RAM : CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R VENGEANCE 8GB (2X4GB) PC3-15000 DUAL CHANNEL KIT

CPU : AMD FX-6350 3.9GHZ 6-CORE

Thank you

Solution
If you ran 4 sticks of RAM it would still be considered dual channel RAM, if you ran 3 sticks it generally runs at single channel due to the mismatch.
As for the RAM working, its kinda iffy. Most of the time mixing RAM works out, the closer in spec the better. But the only way to be certain is to buy RAM sold in kits, since they are tested from the factory. Chances are good it will work, but there is still a chance it wont.
If you ran 4 sticks of RAM it would still be considered dual channel RAM, if you ran 3 sticks it generally runs at single channel due to the mismatch.
As for the RAM working, its kinda iffy. Most of the time mixing RAM works out, the closer in spec the better. But the only way to be certain is to buy RAM sold in kits, since they are tested from the factory. Chances are good it will work, but there is still a chance it wont.

Reactions: mariocyprus
Solution