Can i7-5930K Haswell-E fully utilize 4 titan X cards, with 4 way SLI ?

lawrence_of_arabia

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I am making a Deep neural network (DNN) training machine. I need to build this system, https://developer.nvidia.com/devbox.
My machine has 4 Titan X cards, Kingston Digital HyperX Predator 480 GB PCIe Gen2 x 4 , Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E, and G.SKILL 64GB. I am using ASUS RAMPAGE V extreme motherboard. When I place the last Titan X card on the last slot, my SSD gets disapered from bios. I am planning to use SLI- 4 way. I am not sure I have a PCIe conflict ? what should I do to fix this issue ? Is the limitation on the i7? Any advice ?

lawrence_of_arabia

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Hi Alexolu, Thanks ! Yes its M.2. that explains the bios. I like the PCIe speed on the SSD and still would like have all four Titan X's going. Any thing I can change to make it work ?

king3pj

Distinguished
Am I missing something? I have never used 4 way SLI or a Hawell E CPU but I thought they had 40 PCIe lanes. Shouldn't 4 way SLI use 32 lanes since SLI runs at X8?

If an M.2 SSD runs at X4 that would still only add up to 36 lanes and 40 are supposed to be available with an i7-5930k.

Like I said I have no experience with this kind of setup but I don't see what the problem is. Since it's not working it's safe to assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

TRENDING THREADS