Question Can it be that a 64bit motherboard is only 4gb of memory?

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Finally Mr. Zoom has encouraged me to upgrade my HP m9000 computer RAM, except that HP say that only 4mb is max.
Can this be true? The processor is an Intel Q9300 running at 2.5Ghz.
Alternatively what motherboard would replace without too much grief, well I am an optimist.
Thanks

Can you point out where is that even written?
I don't know what motherboard it has but if you can send me the exact model i can check.... Based on the cpu (Q9300) that is socket 775... it could be DDR2 even DDR3..
If it has 4 slots DDR2 you can easily find 4x2GB = 8GB.
If it has 4 slots DDR3 you can easily find 4x4GB = 16GB
So please send me the motherboard number and what exactly is writen about 4GB max.

It's not uncommon for a computer to accept twice the rated capacity of RAM as larger modules become available. HP and Dell don't update their spec. sheets in the hope that you will just buy a new computer.
Some of the chipsets only support 2 RAM slots. My Dell Optiplex 380 is listed as 4 GB max. and I'm running 8GB DDR3 1066.

I'm having a hard time finding specific information on that computer.
There are some chipsets showing 4 GB RAM capacity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_chipsets

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
It's not uncommon for a computer to accept twice the rated capacity of RAM as larger modules become available. HP and Dell don't update their spec. sheets in the hope that you will just buy a new computer.
Some of the chipsets only support 2 RAM slots. My Dell Optiplex 380 is listed as 4 GB max. and I'm running 8GB DDR3 1066.

I'm having a hard time finding specific information on that computer.
There are some chipsets showing 4 GB RAM capacity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_chipsets
Thanks and hopefully very good news.
I have been trying to upload images of the motherboard and model number but without success. It reports 'something went wrong'. Sorry about that.

This is the text report
Model #: m9361.uk-a
Product #: KZ758AA-ABU
Serial #: CZH830036L
Software Build #: 83WEv6PrA1
Service ID #: 120-708
PCBRAND: Pavilion

The motherboard has a label CT: P 9690-18 02 54U
PN 5189-1018 Rev A01

Hope this helps

Richard

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Sadly Crucial reports
'Well, this is embarrassing! No system match was found. Somehow, a match for your system has eluded our industry-leading compatibility database. Our compatibility team will be searching for a solution if it is available, so check back soon! If you have questions or would like further support, please contact our support department. '
Actually I had already tried this and so today was 'going back soon'

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I had a chat with Crucial who advised that 8GB is indeed the max so have ordered
4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400,
CT2KIT25664AA800 x 2.

Thanks to all.

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
OK so 8G memory installed fine. Sadly Zoom still does not like the Core 2 Quad processor for non green backgrounds.

If only I could upgrade the processor!!
Oh well.
Thanks for your help guys