can it handle core i5 1st gen ?

Ali-Ghost

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
hi guys i have dell optiplex 960 with core 2 quad q9600 ,and i want to know that will i be able to install core i5 in this thing?

Solution
No, as said.

All you can really do for gaming is:

1) add more RAM (likely)

2) upgrade the graphics card (with suitable power, and form factor to the case). A GTX750Ti (with low rise adapter) might be okay if light/medium gaming is your goal and the current GPU sucks.

The CPU is already the max supported by that motherboard, and it's maybe 80% the speed of an FX-4300 so its capable of gaming with a reasonably good graphics card though performance will vary (amount of CPU bottleneck varies between games, and performance of GPU etc).

Other improvements include adding an SSD for faster boot and general faster usage. (i.e. cloning the HDD to a 120GB or 250GB SSD)

but...
With an older PC you don't want to spend very much money.
No, as said.

All you can really do for gaming is:

1) add more RAM (likely)

2) upgrade the graphics card (with suitable power, and form factor to the case). A GTX750Ti (with low rise adapter) might be okay if light/medium gaming is your goal and the current GPU sucks.

The CPU is already the max supported by that motherboard, and it's maybe 80% the speed of an FX-4300 so its capable of gaming with a reasonably good graphics card though performance will vary (amount of CPU bottleneck varies between games, and performance of GPU etc).

Other improvements include adding an SSD for faster boot and general faster usage. (i.e. cloning the HDD to a 120GB or 250GB SSD)

but...
With an older PC you don't want to spend very much money.

Solution