Can laptop that dont have G-SYNC have it with external monitor that has "G-SYNC CAPABLE" ?? Please help me guys!

Oct 18, 2019
I have ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW and i am planing to transform from laptop to "desktop" and by that i mean turn off laptop's screen and buy external high refresh rate screen and connect it to laptop with keyboard and mouse... My laptop have HDMI and MINI DISPLAY PORT ( but HDMI doesnt support 144+ )

I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS

1. Does MINI DISPLAY PORT support super high refresh rates (in my case i am aiming for 240hz SAMSUNG 27RG5) --> i mean can i connect laptop and monitor on one end is MINI DISPLAY PORT and on other way (in monitor) full display port and still be able to use GSYNC and 240HZ feautures?
  2. SAMSUNG 27RG5 have "G SYNC CAPABLE" does that means that laptop WITHOUT GSYNC can use full potential of GSYNC? (this is most important question!!!!!)

Thanks forward for the help, i would be really happy if someone can answer me on those questions - dont wanna buy that monitor and got surprised by seeing that max supported refresh rate is 60hz

miniDP on your laptop model is DP 1.4 which does support 240Hz

For G-Sync to work, both monitor and GPU must be G-Sync capable.

Please post discrete GPU details (eg Nvidia RTX 2070 or whatever).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019
miniDP on your laptop model is DP 1.4 which does support 240Hz

For G-Sync to work, both monitor and GPU must be G-Sync capable.

Please post discrete GPU details (eg Nvidia RTX 2070 or whatever).

First of all thank you very much for quick respond, i really appreciate it! :)

This is the exactly the same GPU that i have in my laptop ---> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070-mobile.c3349

So if i buy SAMSUNG C27RG5 which is G-SYNC capable and my GPU is also G-SYNC capable and my laptop monitor IS NOT G-SYNC CAPABLE i will still be able to use G-SYNC on samsung monitor?

Your RTX 2070 supports G-Sync.

However, the default GPU on your laptop is Intel UHD 630 which is integrated in the CPU, and this does not support G-Sync.

To ensure that the RTX 2070 is used when gaming, just assign it to each game using Nvidia Control Panel >> 3D Settings. You only need to do that once for each game and your changes will automatically be remembered thereafter.