Question Can Lenovo ideapad 330-15IKB With Motherboard: LNVNB161216 Support DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB RAM one stick?

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello, my friend have laptop Lenovo ideapad 330-15IKB With Motherboard: LNVNB161216 and he want buy this RAM: KVR32S22D8/16 Kingston DDR4 3200 16GB SO-DIMM
Screenshots from Hwinfo:

len3.png

len4.png

can that ram installed in this laptop and it will work?

thanks

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hello, i have laptop Lenovo ideapad 330-15IKB With Motherboard: LNVNB161216 and recently upgraded with this RAM: KVR32S22D8/16 Kingston DDR4 3200 16GB SO-DIMM
now its 20GB but some times its just 4gb and need restart or shutdown laptop to see laptop again 20GB
i dont understand whats problem
another 4gb is soldered on motherboard, motherboard have only one slot for ram

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Max ram is 20GB total.

4GB is soldered on mobo.
16GB ram stick max.
its works but now i see another problem

its works but now i see another problem
Try reseating the ram a few times in the slot and then make sure it is firmly in place......test.

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
If you still having the same problem try a different brand of ram.
i think its not cause ram because its new and before i upgrade ram in that slot have installed 4GB ram samsung but its still not see and motherboard have soldered 4 chips 4GB ram and laptop see only 4 gb when it was new its see all 8GB but after some time its see only 4gb and sometimes 8 gb maybe

There seems to be one BIOS update available since initial release, for that laptop, and I'd make sure I have that version installed, however, that may not help as the specifications for that device on the Lenovo website indicate a maximum of 16GB is supported for that unit and that it ONLY supports up to 2133mhz memory. So at 20GB you are beyond the supposedly supported maximum (Although I'm not sure how you could install any amount of memory that would result in 16GB with 4GB being non-removable soldered to the board) but perhaps more importantly are using a kit that is much faster than what is supported.

Now, often the board will simply run the memory at the maximum supported speed when memory that exceeds what is supported is installed but in some cases there might not be a combination of speed, voltage and timings settings that will allow the DIMM or SO-DIMM to work with a given board which is why generally it is a good idea to make sure any memory that will be installed is either on the motherboard QVL list or is listed as validated by the memory manufacturer for a given board. Unfortunately that mainly applies to desktop systems and it is not generally something they do for laptop boards so it is generally hit or miss or using only what the device manufacturer recommends. I'd make sure the BIOS is on the latest version first as that might resolve the problem and if not then I'd return the memory and try something from G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial and I'd stick to 2133mhz DIMMs since the onboard memory can only run at that speed so the incompatibility might actually be between the onboard and added DIMMs rather than directly related to any shortcomings of the motherboard or CMOS instructions.

Reactions: Giorgi379

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
There seems to be one BIOS update available since initial release, for that laptop, and I'd make sure I have that version installed, however, that may not help as the specifications for that device on the Lenovo website indicate a maximum of 16GB is supported for that unit and that it ONLY supports up to 2133mhz memory. So at 20GB you are beyond the supposedly supported maximum (Although I'm not sure how you could install any amount of memory that would result in 16GB with 4GB being non-removable soldered to the board) but perhaps more importantly are using a kit that is much faster than what is supported.

Now, often the board will simply run the memory at the maximum supported speed when memory that exceeds what is supported is installed but in some cases there might not be a combination of speed, voltage and timings settings that will allow the DIMM or SO-DIMM to work with a given board which is why generally it is a good idea to make sure any memory that will be installed is either on the motherboard QVL list or is listed as validated by the memory manufacturer for a given board. Unfortunately that mainly applies to desktop systems and it is not generally something they do for laptop boards so it is generally hit or miss or using only what the device manufacturer recommends. I'd make sure the BIOS is on the latest version first as that might resolve the problem and if not then I'd return the memory and try something from G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial and I'd stick to 2133mhz DIMMs since the onboard memory can only run at that speed so the incompatibility might actually be between the onboard and added DIMMs rather than directly related to any shortcomings of the motherboard or CMOS instructions.
updated bios to latest version same issue, checked in some sources he shows 20gb max ram, but if ram not work or compatible he can turn on laptop screen?
here is that leptop: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ru/pf1phx1p/downloads/automatic-driver-update

Part number: PF1PHX1P

Machine model: 81DE00M0RU

If updating the BIOS didn't work then I'd try different memory. Motherboards can be very fickle about which memory kits they like and while laptop motherboards are usually pretty good about wide support for a variety of SODIMMs your kit may simply be too far out of it's acceptable specifications.