Can loading wrong ghost image file physically damage compu..

I (am stupid) took a ghost image file (.gho) from my stationary computer
and loaded it to my notebook.
Starting up the notebook, it only came to 'Loading windows 98...', then
locked up. I tried this many times.
Now, unfortunately, battery is dead and it won't even run/start with AC
adapter.
Have I killed it?

Note: The graphic card and sound card etc. are different between my
stationary and the notebook. Different computer all together.

Sorry if I'm off topic.
Thanks for any info

Johan H.

>I (am stupid) took a ghost image file (.gho) from my stationary computer
>and loaded it to my notebook.
>Starting up the notebook, it only came to 'Loading windows 98...', then
>locked up. I tried this many times.
>Now, unfortunately, battery is dead and it won't even run/start with AC
>adapter.
>Have I killed it?
>
>Note: The graphic card and sound card etc. are different between my
>stationary and the notebook. Different computer all together.
>
>Sorry if I'm off topic.
>Thanks for any info
>
>Johan H.

I doubt that it was harmed.The OS should detect new hardware and try
to load it. This takes over half an hour though. Even when going from
one NF2 board to another NF2 board of a different brand. Really not
worth the trouble.
Make a 98 boot disk on your desktop and bootup your notebook with it
to run scan disk and find out, when the bateries charged.

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Johan H" <no@thanx.org> wrote in message
> I (am stupid) took a ghost image file (.gho) from my stationary computer
> and loaded it to my notebook.
> Starting up the notebook, it only came to 'Loading windows 98...', then
> locked up. I tried this many times.
> Now, unfortunately, battery is dead and it won't even run/start with AC
> adapter.
> Have I killed it?
>
> Note: The graphic card and sound card etc. are different between my
> stationary and the notebook. Different computer all together.
>
> Sorry if I'm off topic.
> Thanks for any info
>
> Johan H.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, go into "Device Manager" & delete the
hardware shown that you know isn't in the laptop, reboot & if you're lucky
Win98 will sort out the hardware problems.