Question Can low power gpus with no power connector damage pcie slots when oc'd?

Jawd000

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
The title says it all, I've recently got my hands on a 1050ti with no power connector and I want to check how far it can go but I dont want to risk my motherboard's pcie slot (or the mobo itself). I have a 1080ti so it's just a spare in case something happens to the 1080ti, but it's always fun to tinker with new hardware. The mobo has a 6pin on it for extra pcie power though, so it should keep the pcie slot from pushing too much power into the card. But I want to make sure. Thanks for the answers.

It can't damage it any more than any other card might. The risks and potential for harm to your card when overclocking are the same no matter whether it's a slot powered card or one using two 8 pins. If you follow best practices and a bona fide guide to overclocking your card, in other words, DOING IT CORRECTLY, you should not have any problems.

If you fly by the seat of your pants and just start throwing numbers out there and moving sliders, then whatever happens, you deserve.

Reactions: Jawd000

Jawd000

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
It can't damage it any more than any other card might. The risks and potential for harm to your card when overclocking are the same no matter whether it's a slot powered card or one using two 8 pins. If you follow best practices and a bona fide guide to overclocking your card, in other words, DOING IT CORRECTLY, you should not have any problems.

If you fly by the seat of your pants and just start throwing numbers out there and moving sliders, then whatever happens, you deserve.
I know how to overclock, just saw some comments online that said "you can fry your pcie slot" and stuff, so I just wanted to make sure. Not planning on flashing the bios or anything, just using the good old afterburner. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you are fine. Don't trust comments you see "online", as a rule. Trust comments you get from people who know WTF they are talking about, like most of the veteran members and moderators here, and a few of the less tenured members as well. There's a lot of opinions and insights out there, but unfortunately, most of them are from people who either don't have a clue or are just plain wrong.

How hardware affects other hardware generally is 100% dependent on WHAT you are DOING with that hardware. When used in a stock configuration, it's very unlikely to ever cause permanent damage to anything so long as everything has been correctly installed.

zx128k

Reputable
If the card can't limit the power taken from the PCIe slot then going over 75 watts can cause real problems. Also if far too much power is taken from all the PCIe slots or even just one slot, then one of the 12 volt pins on the 24 pin connector on the motherboard can go on fire. This can occur very easily with SLI or other multi gpu systems and has been reported in the past. 24pin ATX melteted with after installing SLI Burned 24pin power connector P6T6

Cards without PCIe power connectors are not meant to be overclocked. They have to live within the 75 watt budget. I don't think going a little higher will kill anything but some small form factor boards its not a good idea.

rx480 pcie slot fire is what happens when you ignore the 75 watt limit. RX480 draws more then 90W from a single pcie slot. AMD Radeon RX 480 Reportedly Frying PCIe Slots 750 ti was lol bad for high power draw https://www.pcworld.com/article/309...x-480s-power-draw-and-boosts-performance.html

Note that with your card, you most likely have a power limit. When you put the slider to maximum its likely close to or at 75 watts (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203328/evga-gtx1050ti-4096-180426). Most good boards can take a lot and stand going over the standard of 75 watts but if you go to far it going to be a fire at the 24 pin connector.

With most of the 1050ti's hard locked at 75 watts, there is little room for overclocking. Just don't mod the card to unlock the power limit. If you do, keep it to something sane.

Last edited:
The 1050 ti is a power limited design. That can't happen, or at least, shouldn't be able to happen. Plus, they said they won't be overclocking so it is patently impossible for there to be a problem related in that way.

The rest of your post is not accurate either. There are plenty of cards that use slot power and can be overclocked.

The 1050 ti and 1650 both COME in overclocked models, and can be overclocked regardless on standard models.

Perhaps you meant something different.

zx128k

Reputable
The 1050 ti is a power limited design. That can't happen, or at least, shouldn't be able to happen. Plus, they said they won't be overclocking so it is patently impossible for there to be a problem related in that way.

The rest of your post is not accurate either. There are plenty of cards that use slot power and can be overclocked.

The 1050 ti and 1650 both COME in overclocked models, and can be overclocked regardless on standard models.

Perhaps you meant something different.

There is no point overclocking a card that is by design for low power compact PC's. There is little or performance increase. Most of the time you just increase the lower percentile fps by a little but any real increase in performance is stopped by the power limit. The VRM's are cut down on the card so that if you pull too much the card will die. If you pull 150 watts from your motherboards slot, 1. the cards vrms can't take it and the motherboard better be good.

Yes the card can pull more than the standard if you edit the bios https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker/releases or shunt mod the card
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_z8TokX6U
. Both are big parts of overclocking a graphics cards to the limit.

I've been overclocking "stuff" since before you were probably born, so yes, I fully understand ALL of the principles involved. Not going to discuss it further or argue about it though. Bottom line is, these cards CAN and DO get overclocked, and the card in question is power limited, so it shouldn't be a problem. End of story.

zx128k

Reputable
I've been overclocking "stuff" since before you were probably born, so yes, I fully understand ALL of the principles involved. Not going to discuss it further or argue about it though. Bottom line is, these cards CAN and DO get overclocked, and the card in question is power limited, so it shouldn't be a problem. End of story.

I am likely older than you and I am Electrical and Electronic Engineer. The power limit is a cap on performance. Once you hit 75 watts it does not matter what speed the card could run at. It will reduce the clock speed. The only benefit is when the card can run a game under the power limit. Then you can clock higher and get more performance.

Given the card will suck in every game and be pushed up against its power limit because it lacks performance and thus is flogged to death at 100% load. There is not going to be much meat on the table until you remove the power limit. Doing that will risk the slot or motherboard for running out of spec.

My 2060 would hit the power limit of 200 watts and down clock from 2085MHz to 1995 MHz or lower. Not that higher than the stock maximum boost really under maximum load at 175 watts. Setting the power limit to normal and an overclock give little gains in performance. Unlocking the 2060 power limit via modding the 6-pin connector current sense circuit gives a stable 2055MHz in games with the 2060 (not done by me, I just got a 2080).

With the 2080 I have a 308 watt maximum power limit which I never reach. Games the maximum boost is stable at 2070MHz. Both cards are using the same watts oddly enough. I have not seen the 2080 go much over 200 watts for short periods.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
from what i remember, and my memory is correct, some 750 ti models went above the limits on OC and in fact fried some setups, without connectors that is.

with a 1050 ti you will have no problems since i don't remember even a single post with such problem in it.

zx128k

Reputable
from what i remember, and my memory is correct, some 750 ti models went above the limits on OC and in fact fried some setups, without connectors that is.

I remember reading that as well, the 480 from AMD was reported to do that as well. With a good motherboard there could be a circuit to limit the power drawn. I have never looked into bypassing the power limit for a PCIe slot. Nvidia limits the power you can draw from the slot, at least with my 2080. So there could be no circuit limiting the power drawn on the motherboard? Why limit it on the card if all motherboards limit power drawn or is it just incase? There should be a way to remove the limit with a little soldering on the card.

Last edited:
Reactions: FullTank

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When 12V power is present at both the x16 connector and the 150W-ATX 6-pin connector, the MAX5944 controls power from both supplies in the same manner as described for the x16 connector. Current from each connector is individually limited to 7.14A, corresponding to about 85W at 12V (75W plus 15% margin).

No matter what you do, you can't exceed 85w from the slot anymore, it'll throttle. Physically the slots are (I believe) rated for 94w±.

Thats supply. Demand is different altogether, ATX standards say a pcie add-in card cannot exceed 10w, 25w or 75w depending on the card type.

zx128k

Reputable
I seriously doubt it. On both counts. But whatever. I've already said my piece and have no inclination to sit around arguing a pointless matter. The question was answered long ago. The rest of this conversation is drivel.

I have a foundation degree (HND level) in Electrical and Electronic Engineer from like 20 years ago. I did that and city and guilds electronic servicing which is a three year course. Also CCNA and PC maintenance and repair. But who cares about that right?

Look agree or disagree it does not matter. It's just a forum for sharing ideas. You are a moderator you should respect the right of forum posters to disagree. It's part of a healthy debate. So chill out, relax and don't take anything personally. I have respected your position and have not attacked you personally in any way.

Yes, I agree in that regard. That's exactly why I've avoided that, specifically.

The bottom line for me is that people are not burning out their motherboards OR graphics cards by overclocking on the 1000 series cards, because they do in fact have some protections in place. Obviously, somebody who is determined can certainly cause themselves some problems but you pretty well have to ignore and intentionally make efforts to go around the protection schemes that exist, to cause any damage or problems. Can it happen? Ok, sure. Maybe.

Will it? For 99% of people, the answer is no, it won't. So long as you go into things without your head in the sand, you are perfectly fine.

zx128k

Reputable
Yes, I agree in that regard. That's exactly why I've avoided that, specifically.

The bottom line for me is that people are not burning out their motherboards OR graphics cards by overclocking on the 1000 series cards, because they do in fact have some protections in place. Obviously, somebody who is determined can certainly cause themselves some problems but you pretty well have to ignore and intentionally make efforts to go around the protection schemes that exist, to cause any damage or problems. Can it happen? Ok, sure. Maybe.

Will it? For 99% of people, the answer is no, it won't. So long as you go into things without your head in the sand, you are perfectly fine.

The main issue for the OP is that the card has only 75 watts which will be a hard limit on performance. If the OP increases the clock speed he will hit this limit and throttle. The card will only increase the clock speed much above stock if the power limit is not reached. I would guess that maximum fps would not change much. 300 points in firestrike at most and a few fps in games for pushing the card harder in games. As performance will be so low anyway, 2-4 fps will be like 7-8%. It really is not worth overclocking. The difference between 32.8 and 35.3 fps is not noticeable to the player in games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. https://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/deusex-1080p-645x642.jpg

Bypassing the power limit is not worth the risk. Overclocking is mostly pointless.