Question can motherboard cause pc shut down under load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
Hi there,
i was wondering can motherboard cause PC shut down under load?
I've tried different gpu but problem was , but different psu had different shut down time but didn't disappear
my PC shut down in game, for low graphic games like CSGO on 1280x960 it takes 6 hours playing to shut down and heavy games like mafia definitive edition about 45min.
if pc shut down, i have to switch the power to off for like 10sec so i can turn pc on again.
but if i play like 5 hours csgo and shut down pc wait 10 sec than start gaming again I have more 6 hours something like it's a charging computer ?! weird tho .

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU : Radeon RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8GB
MOTHERBOARD : Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
RAM : GeIL Super Lucier RGB SYNC (2x8GB | DDR4 3000Mhz)
SSD : XPG SX6000 Lite 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM
CASE : Cooler Master CM 590 III ATX Mid Tower
+ keyboard - mouse - headphones - 144hz monitor

Without reading anything but title - YES yes yes, it can.

If for example the chipset IC get overheated, if a capacitor burst and make shortcut so that the PSU protection kicks in. And probably thousand more, this is just some examples I've seen on my own computers.

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the games shutting down.
Oh sorry i forgot to mention, I didn't said anything about PSU because i didn't want to take your attention to psu
because i've tried different psus but the problem was still, i've tried
  • Cooler Master MWE 650 gold modular
  • cooler master 650w V2 gold full modular
  • cooler master mwe 700 bronze modular
read my psu story:
Also i bought my pc 1 year and half ago , i've tried 2 new psu last month

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
Motherboard wouldn't be the problem unless it's faulty.

I think it's more likely the hdd is failing.
the problem is something between power and graphic but i don't know which pc part is the problem so i asked generally in motherboard section,
i thought something like PCI-E problem, i've tried rx 580 and 2 other different psu and problem was still there but the timing on shut down are different. after corona i'm going to check motherboard by guarantee.

it's a long story and hard to tell but i had my hdd for past 7 years nothing was wrong with my prev pc.i'm using my hdd on my new pc because of my data.

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
Without reading anything but title - YES yes yes, it can.

If for example the chipset IC get overheated, if a capacitor burst and make shortcut so that the PSU protection kicks in. And probably thousand more, this is just some examples I've seen on my own computers.
I'm struggling, so tired of this problem i'm going to check garantee after corona i Hope so motherboard is the problem so finally i fix this god damn problem :((

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
If your PC can run for 6 hours playing CSGO then the motherboard is fine, could be your PSU that can't withstand a long period under heavy usage.
you know, the point is my first PSU was perfectly fine, after 6 months it start to shut down in heavy games until the last moment i had it it just run csgo for 5 min .
i tried another one and exact model but it couldn't last for 5 min (maybe guarantee gave me broken)
and i'm using another model V2 650w which last for 6 hours playing csgo. i do kinda belive it's psu but what psu is good for me? why 3 different psu shut down? low wattage?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Here are two links regarding PSUs that should prove informative:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does then test the PSUs.

Next:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the intention of immediately purchasing a PSU. Use the link to learn more about PSU's and power requirements.

Try running 2 or 3 of the provided calculators.

Heavy game playing or any other computer activities (video editing, bit-mining) that constantly demand peak power levels from a PSU are overtime going to cause the PSU(s) to degrade and falter.

All the more so for low end makes and models. High end makes and models simply last a bit longer - sometimes.....

Reactions: Grobe

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
I opened this title because i kinda believe that something like motherboard or gpu is breaking PSUs because after long time using the shut down timing get's smaller, like first month 6 hours playing csgo,next month 5 hours and so on..

Ralston18

Titan
I will suggest the opposite: time is getting shorter because the PSU is continuing to decline further.

Especially if under heavy load for long times while gaming, video editing, and even bit-mining.

At some time in the future the PSU will decline to some even lower level of functionality.

Then the PSU will simply not work at all.

Reading this I feel to add some more information not mentioned by that web page.

What the web page says, is only how to determine if voltage on PSU are good under no-load condition. However - over the years I have collected at least 3 PSU that pass the basic voltage test but still doesn't work properly under regular use.

And I can explain why - at least most probably:
  • The basic voltage test does not say anything about the ripple voltage. If the PCU electical design and component fault allow high ripple voltages, you should expect the rest of the system behaving unstable, and maybe selv-protection function kicks in for some devices (e.g. motherboard or PSU itself instant shut-down).
  • Also, that basic test doesn't tell how the PSU behaves under high load situations. In many cases, you can use OCCT benchmark software - but it need to be able to comunicate to the motherboards 12V voltage sensor, and it unfortunately doesn't support all motherboard models.
  • For PSU (common for most electrical circuit designed to pass lot of amps) - temperature variations during use takes it toll on the pcb soldering points and are a common source of failure. There are metal inside with different expansion coefficient that touch each other, and therefore over time it break down. The excact type of fault are hard to predict, but it's quite common being temperature related - ie. leave it on high load and eventually some static contact point disconnect and look - funny things start to happens.
  • A little more of the ripple voltage. That is usually the job of the capacitors to mitigate any ripple voltage. Unfortunately capacitors are some of the components that are most prone to damage, that is they dry out and either get ineffective or get ineffective AND have a happy time of occasionally shorting so that the PSU self-protection kicks in, i.e. power off. If this is the case, a simple voltage test under no-load condition will most likely be interpret erroneous as if the PSU is totally good.

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
you know guys, i've tested a 4th psu but the funny fact is, i've tested for like 40 min under heavy load and suddenly pc shut down, i rebooted the system to make sure it's working and it did. but when i got home, there was no power in motherboard, the LED light were off, but after waiting for 10min power came into motherboard i turned on pc but after 2sec on booting it shut down. and i had to stick to the v2 650w until now
4th psu :
  • cooler master mwe 700 bronze modular

Last edited:

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
something new, i shut down after 5 minute in a specific game mode on community server but don't shut down for more than 7 hours playing Faceit.
if anybody doesn't know about CSGO faceit is a match making platform has it's own servers and community server is runs by non offical. sooo weird.
the gamemode is practice mode.
the only things i can imagine is that GPU reachs the maximum power usage due to weakness of software and PSU can't handle... don't know?

Mohawmmad

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
That can happens. What model and how old is it?

I also just have to say it would be a good idea to also include this component in HW speccs for full picture.

The most important thing is you found the source and it's now working 😎
DVD Rom is atleast 10 years old but i still shut down but much longer than before, i think it's motherboard or PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.