Can my 450w psu handle gtx 770 SC ACX

stoppedbroom

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Im wondering if my EVGA 450w 80+ bronze will handle an EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB
My system currently is: Pentium G4400, 8gb ram (1 stick), 2 hdd, and a 60mm case fan

Will it be safe to play in that rig?

Solution
Ok. The Evga B1 listed by both ko888 and op (part numbers match) has a single pcie cable, but terminates in 2x (6+2)pin connectors, which is Evga's new habit. Can only speculate it cuts costs somewhat.

So, Op, I'd take a visual look see at the gpu end of that cable and determine exactly if there is indeed 2x (6+2) pcie on the end of it.

stoppedbroom

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

I have an adapter from molex to pci-e

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a gtx 770 you are better off with a 550w psu. For several reasons. It'll generally have the pcie connectors needed by the card. You can get away with using adapters from the molex, but that's really not recommended. The 550w will have plenty of amperage on the 12v rail. This is important because that's where the wattage comes into play. On a 450w, you'll be pushing the limits of what else is dependent on that 12v rails amperage, like the cpu, fans, Sata etc and one good spike can starve components, black screens or blue screens are common. The G4400 is such a low draw cpu though, that this shouldn't be an issue and there's no OC to complicate matters.
And then there's the psu itself. Psus are not created equally, they'll use different platforms and different components, even different quality of such. If that Evga is a B1,BT, BV then no, I'd not really trust it. A B3, yes, you should be fine.

General rule of thumb is that if a psu does not have the necessary pcie connectors, it's really not designed for the gpu power needs. I'd not trust a 750w psu with only a 6pin pcie for example.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 770 will draw 200-250w on average, depending on model, with 100w for the pc itself and 50w for the cpu, you'll be looking at @ 350-400w max, so @ 300-350w or so gaming . Yes that does leave plenty of room. On a decent psu like the B3, I'd have no issues, but the B1 isn't built the way the B3 is, so I'd be leary of long, hard gaming sessions that'll tax that psu.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah around 300w when gaming, it would be fine IMO. Sure its not the best psu, but its not a chinese no brand that has 14amps on the 12v rail, its not going to blow up under this kind of load.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. The Evga B1 listed by both ko888 and op (part numbers match) has a single pcie cable, but terminates in 2x (6+2)pin connectors, which is Evga's new habit. Can only speculate it cuts costs somewhat.

So, Op, I'd take a visual look see at the gpu end of that cable and determine exactly if there is indeed 2x (6+2) pcie on the end of it.

Solution

stoppedbroom

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Harsh316

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Guys I have same doubt, I have cooler master 550w bronze psu, is it enough for my below setup,
Xeon x3470 processor with antec a 30 cooler
GTX 770 2gb
6gb ddr 3 ram 1333mhz ( 2gb x 1 & 4gbx 1)
2tb seagte 5.4rpm
120gb ssd
19inch lcd dell monitor.

Please anyone tell me if my psu is enough for above setup or not and also can I add my PC controller ?