can my 600watt psu handle a r9 290

Honestly under normal gaming, that card tends to use 200-250 watts. If is connected for 300(75 from the board, 75 from the 6 pin pci-e cable and 150 from the 8 pin pci-e cable). If you run Furmarks(but you got a video card for games not Furmarks) I am sure you can get to those limits and past them.

Now many cards have requirements listed so it is best to check those out. Even 2 identical cards may draw slightly different power to do the same thing.

You will see anything ranging from maybe 600 to 750 watts for some of the highly factory overclocked cards.

In the end quality matters and they sometimes over rate because some "650 watt" power supplies have less current on the 12 volt line than a quality 500 watt unit(or less in worse case).

If you check your current power supply it should have a sticker listing the 12 volt current rating. Also having the required 6 and 8 pin or even 8 pin pin pci-e connectors is normally an indication it was designed with that kind of load in mind.

This was a review of the 290 reference card's power consumption. Please note all cards have spikes above these values, but most power supplies can handle that without issues.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290/24.html

Thermaltake has many power supplies so a model number would help. 80+ has nothing to do with power output and instead how much input is required to make that output. It is all about wasted energy(heat generated as a result of conversion from wall power to PC friendly power)

So long as you don't buy an overclocked video card, you will be fine.

The R9 290 requires 225w and 48 amps at max load. Your PSU provides 49 amps. Your other components consume about 160w during full load. Your total wattage should be around 385w.

Why do users insist on saying XXX cards needs XXX number of watts and so many amps. They are related.

So 225 watts = 18.75 Amps. While 48 amps is 567 watts. This leads too many users into thinking computers consume ungodly amounts of power.

The card has previsions for 300 watts(75 + 75 + 150). So lets use that as a base number. 300 watts / 12 = 25 amps. Now it will have a hard time pulling an average of 300 watts, but at least you know a worst case scenario. Again all cards will have spikes in the power that are so fast even most multimeters will not see them so I am sure someone can find evidence of the card 350 watts for a fraction of a second.

Your 2 x 8 pin PCI-E cables are good for 300 watts(because 8 pin cables are rated for 150 each.) This is not to say they would not allow more.

Your system is not power hungry or anything(not quite this(and I had to WORK to get to 170 watts. it dropped lower after swapping to a notebook drive and lower speed 3.5 inch drive) power friendly :)). As long as you power supply delivers its rated wattage, it will have no issues with your upgrade.