Can my Aspire X3810 Support the gigabyte gtx 1050?

gamingguy27

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
Hi people, I just wanted to know if my aspire X3810 can support the gtx 1050 since i am planning to upgrade, also any clues what i do? I'm not sure if I should upgrade my PSU! This computer was prebuilt so im not sure what to do please help! Thank you.

Solution
That link has a DualCore E5200?

Looking at the case, it doesn't even look like you'll be able to fit a GPU in there anyway. The x16 slot is right at the top, and doesn't appear to have room for even a single-slot design, let alone anything that runs you to dual-slots. The PSU is also a non-standard dimension, so you're looking at a new case + PSU + GPU as a minimum to be able to do anything with that setup..

IMO, it's just not worth the investment.

**EDIT** Ok, so it looks the same, but oyu have a C2Q8300. I'd be very surprised if you could fit a GPU in there.
Would need to be half-height, and likely a single slot design to have any chance..... and on the OEM 220W (8-9 year old) PSU that's non-standard in it's layout...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Appears to be a Core2Quad system (at best)? Do you have the specific model?
I think the "best" CPU available for it was a Q8300, so hopefully you at least have that. A 1050 would be the max performing card I'd look to pair with it.

Older prebuilts, using OEM motherboards can be a bit problematic with newer GPUs. I think it relates to the UEFI (or lack thereof).
I think the 900 series behaved a little better on older boards, as did the 700 series. I would anticipate a GPU like a 750TI to just be simpler overall, albeit older and a bit lesser of a performer.

I'd expect the PSU to be pretty low powered and, if the system is original from the C2Q era, it's somewhere between 8-10 years old at the point, and I'd suggest replacing*.

*Depending on the motherboard though, the power connectors may be proprietary, making replacing the PSU no simple task.

*EDIT* Assuming your motherboard looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/351957520472?rt=nc

Then those are standard 20/24pin ATX and 4pin EPS, so it'll be easy enough to replace..... assuming the PSU has the same physical ATX dimensions, otherwise you're looking at replacing the case too.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's a dated chip regardless, but a Core2Quad is still somewhat sufficient for modern gaming, providing you're realistic.

As I mentioned, I'd personally look for a 750TI* to avoid compatibility issues...... and yes, you should be looking to replace the PSU also.

The 1050 might work, but unless you can find anybody else online who can verify 100% that the near 10 year old board/chipset is compatible with a 2017 GPU, I would err on the side of caution.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That link has a DualCore E5200?

Looking at the case, it doesn't even look like you'll be able to fit a GPU in there anyway. The x16 slot is right at the top, and doesn't appear to have room for even a single-slot design, let alone anything that runs you to dual-slots. The PSU is also a non-standard dimension, so you're looking at a new case + PSU + GPU as a minimum to be able to do anything with that setup..

IMO, it's just not worth the investment.

**EDIT** Ok, so it looks the same, but oyu have a C2Q8300. I'd be very surprised if you could fit a GPU in there.
Would need to be half-height, and likely a single slot design to have any chance..... and on the OEM 220W (8-9 year old) PSU that's non-standard in it's layout, it's not going to happen.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks to be a standard mATX motherboard, so any case supporting the mATX form-factor will work just fine.

I'd look to keep this as cheap as possible though, as the rest of the system is pretty dated.

Assuming you're ok with mail-in rebates, this keeps it pretty cheap (while still giving you a good quality PSU)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Rosewill - Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.75 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $44.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 18:28 EDT-0400

The CX550 is overkill for the system, but for the price, it's pretty tough to beat right now (after rebate).

Then, try to pick up a 750TI cheaply:
https://www.ebay.com/b/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-Computer-Graphics-Cards/27386/bn_27470932?_sop=15

BUT, be careful. There are fakes out there. Generally they're unbranded, stock images.... and I think generally have 1GB VRAM.
Stick with the branded cards, 2GB VRAM. If you can find one under $70-$80, that's a pretty decent deal IMO.