can my computer be wrong about what core it has

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
hello, when I was checking if I could run rainbow six siege I did an online scan as to whether I could run it but the website said my pc had an i5 3470 even though when I bought it the suppliers said it came with an i5 2400. when I checked my settings they also said I had an i5 3470. I am curious as to whether my computer has somehow confused itself or if the suppliers made a mistake. i do not mind if it is true because i am informed that the i5 3470 is better but i am curious to find out.

Solution
If you bought it used there's a chance the seller made a mistake and didn't know what they had. So it's possible they honestly thought it had an i5 2400 in it. I'd go by what a system utility tells you that you have.

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
You may have gotten lucky as the supplier may have run out of stock and substituted a better CPU.
Who is going to complain about a better system?

Have you tried running CPUz? If all your tests come back as an I5 3470 you probably have a 3470.

You could remove the heat sink and check the CPU but I do not recommend it. You need to know what you are doing.