Question Can my CPU be faulty? (stuttering in games / videos )

Jun 1, 2019
So I have been dealing with this problem since June last year when I last upgraded parts (CPU/RAMS/MOBO), I am stuttering in EVERY single games I play and it's NOT only 1 stutter every 5 minutes, when I turn slowly in game with my xbox controller it shows like the image is jumping every seconds. It does that in offline and online games so my internet is not the issue, tried to uninstall/reinstall gpu driver using DDU multiple times, reininstalling windows didn't help either. So I decided to run 1 stick of ram one by one to see if one of them were faulty but nope, tried another gpu and I still stutter.

So basically the only thing that's left that I didn't try is either the motherboard or my CPU, the weird thing is when I monitor my cpu with MSI Afterburner it doesn't show anything wrong, temps are good and it's also working alright (I got a 9900k paired with a 1080ti).

I changed my PSU thinking maybe my other one was about to die, downloaded 2-3 games on my ssd, also using a hdmi or displayport cable didn't work.. I thought it was my screen, thought maybe the gsync threw up, sent my monitor back to acer and they said they fixed the issue but when I came back home and tried, it still does the same, gsync or not it still stutters like crazy but at least my monitor as great colors again, just like new and no more dead pixels.

I tried my cousin's pc on my screen and it doesn't stutter at all and he has an old @ss pc, he still has a 760, the only stutter I see is the fps drop due to my monitor resolution (1440p) his rig is not strong enough to keep up. Both pc were tested at 60hz/60fps capped on the same monitor and my cousin's pc shows no stutter at all and mine is just not playable.

So I want to know how likely it would be if my CPU or motherboard was faulty... it's pretty much the only thing I haven't tested yet.

I appreciate any tips or help thank you so much !

Edit: I also flashed my mobo from f8 to f10, ocing my ram and turning my bios to default but no luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Morphtvs
Jun 1, 2019
Please list your full system specs including your CPU cooler and power supply (both old and new).

PSU: Corsair HX1000 1000W
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: MSI 1080ti
Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3200 DDR4
HDD: WD Black 6TB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

I used to have:
Corsair HX850 850W
Asus Rog Maximus VII Hero
i7 4790k
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB 1866

Reactions: Morphtvs
Jun 1, 2019
How do you connect your Xbox controller to your PC?
If it is via Bluetooth then there might be an issue.
Have you tried the games just using mouse and keyboard to see if they are any smoother?

Andy
I got an adapter for my xbox controller, I never had any issue with it before with my older parts and I also plugged it in my cousin's pc and it doesn't stutter at all, I am also stuttering with m/k :/

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
If you use HWinfo 64 and Afterburner to monitor your CPU & GPU usage to see if they are causing the issue.
You can set them up so that they display an OSD whilst gaming.
Observe temperatures and % usage to find out if they are peaking at 100% and causing stuttering.

Jun 1, 2019
If you use HWinfo 64 and Afterburner to monitor your CPU & GPU usage to see if they are causing the issue.
You can set them up so that they display an OSD whilst gaming.
Observe temperatures and % usage to find out if they are peaking at 100% and causing stuttering.
In assassin's creed odyssey my cpu goes from 35~40% usage to sometimes 90% then goes back down but I still get that micro stutter even if the usage is low, the temp is fine and everything else is alright, weird thing is, I've tested my rig with risk of rain 2 which is not a demanding game and I still stutter with 15-27% CPU usage. 45-50C CPU and 65-70C GPU

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Ok thanks.

Is your RAM a single stick or more than 1?
It's just a single stick won't allow your CPU to run in dual channel mode thus holding performance back.

Also can you check Task Manger for anything thrashing the HDD or using the CPU to a high degree.

Did you do a fresh installation of Windows when you upgraded too?

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Sorry for all the questions and posts from me it's just trying to eliminate every possible thing that I can think of from my own experience with similar symptoms to yours.

It's odd that your PC stutters whilst playing videos as that isn't an intensive operation when compared to gaming.
Your PC is very powerful too.

The screenshot of Task Manager during AC is very useful and indicates your system is working flat out.
Can you try observing Task Manager during video playback and other games as that will show if your hardware is working flat out too.

Jun 1, 2019
Sorry for all the questions and posts from me it's just trying to eliminate every possible thing that I can think of from my own experience with similar symptoms to yours.

It's odd that your PC stutters whilst playing videos as that isn't an intensive operation when compared to gaming.
Your PC is very powerful too.

The screenshot of Task Manager during AC is very useful and indicates your system is working flat out.
Can you try observing Task Manager during video playback and other games as that will show if your hardware is working flat out too.
No worries man, like I said I've tried every single possible thing, and the only thing possible is a faulty motherboard or my cpu, I put a video on youtube and cpu looks fine, it's not going crazy but I still can see a little bit of micro stuttering nothing too bad but it's not normal. Also on AC it goes to 90%+- then goes back to normal in a second, occurs when turning in game if I stand still cpu won't go that high.

No worries man, like I said I've tried every single possible thing, and the only thing possible is a faulty motherboard or my cpu, I put a video on youtube and cpu looks fine, it's not going crazy but I still can see a little bit of micro stuttering nothing too bad but it's not normal. Also on AC it goes to 90%+- then goes back to normal in a second, occurs when turning in game if I stand still cpu won't go that high.
Did you try High Performance power plan?