[SOLVED] Can my employer see my internet activity on my personal phone when connected to Wifi?

GillyH

Honorable
May 27, 2015
Hello,

I have a question. I use my personal phone at work, an iPhone. When I am connected to my work's wifi on this device, can my employer see my internet activity? Like can they see what websites I am visiting and when? Thank you

Solution
Hello,

I have a question. I use my personal phone at work, an iPhone. When I am connected to my work's wifi on this device, can my employer see my internet activity? Like can they see what websites I am visiting and when? Thank you
On their network, sure.
If they choose to.

Just like if you look at the log on your router at home, you can see what traffic has passed through.
Their routers have their own logs. And I'll bet theirs are a lot better than the one you have at home.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

If it is their WIFI then they could see the web site addresses that are requested from DNS. They could see all non-encrypted traffic.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

On their network, sure.
If they choose to.

Just like if you look at the log on your router at home, you can see what traffic has passed through.
Their routers have their own logs. And I'll bet theirs are a lot better than the one you have at home.

Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,

Yes and No. It really depends on them. I do manage my Wifi but only on the blacklisting URL stuff not the monitoring part. One thing is for sure, if they want to, they can see your device name and stuff being visited.

It also depends on the wifi itself. Not all wifis are equal. Mine came with URL blacklisting and ability to see which (whos) device is connected and to blacklist them if I want to.

Jan 25, 2020
I work IT at my company and i can tell you that anything non encrypted on their system can be seen. now whether they are actively watching it depends on if you flag the system or use up bandwidth. we actually block personal devices once they hit X amount of internet usage to prevent any issues on either end.

Reactions: madartzgraphics

TRENDING THREADS