Can my gigabyte GA Z87X UD3H motherboard run 6 fans?

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Hi, im having a problem with my fans here. Im building a new gaming pc with 2 gtx 770 in the bitfenix shinobi case (windowed). Im gonna have a gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard which has one 3 pin sysfan header and three 4 pin sysfan headers.

I want to have one Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120 mm fan in the rear of the case, 2 in the front and 2 noctua NF-A14 FLX 140 mm up top. Also a 120 mm spectre pro green led fan on the side window panel. I want all the fans to be connected to the motherboard so that i can control their speed and such.

You do get Y splitters or wathever the´re called with the noctua fans, but will my motherboards 4 fan headers, where one of them is a 3 pin, be able to run 6 system fans? And is it even good to have that many fans? would the airflow be better if I had less fans? if so, then which ones should i not have?
Please help, ive been trying to get answers on these questions for hours, would really appreciate som help.

Definitely, you'll need a couple of the y-splitters, but that's not a problem. I wouldn't put the fan on the back if you're doing 2 140's up top, as then you'll get to negative pressure, which leads to additional dust.

For best airflow, I would keep the 2 fans up front, the fan on the side for the GPUs, and 2 exhaust fans up top.

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
I forgot to mention that i will have a Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler exhausting the air (to the back). Wont it also create negative pressure?

Also, Will the fans perform the same when sharing a header? Can you connect a noctua fan to the 3 pin header? will it also perform the same? If you could, please tell me how to set up all the connectors, which fans should be splitted and in what header should i have them?

Forgive me if you dont understand what i mean or if I say something stupid, my english is bad and im really a n00b at building computers (never done it before)

I would have the front 2 fans on a splitter, so they run the same, the side fan can be by itself on a header, and the top fans on a splitter. The fans will run at whatever speed the motherboard gives them voltage for (usually done as a %), and when on splitters will both run at that percent.

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
so they will run just the same as if they had a header each?

What about the cpu cooler then? does it ruin the airflow somehow? i could also have two 120mm up top instead if that would solve anything or be more reasonable.

Yeah they will run the same.

And no, with the CPU cooler pushing air to the rear of the case, you won't be messing with airflow.

And I would just forego the rear fan, and leave the 140s up top. That will give you a little quieter operation and plenty of airflow.

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Yeah also, what about the 3 pin header?
About the negative pressure, my room is never dusty and im going to have my pc on the desk.

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
actually forget the last thing i said. I made up my mind and decided to do as youre saying (2 140 mm up top, 2 120 in the front, and the side panel fan conected to its own header). I just want to make sure that the motherboards fan headers can handle 2 noctua fans. Is there any specifications for that or are all the gigabyte Z87 chipset motherboards able to do that?

valletitov

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Okey then, i think my problem is pretty much solved. Dont know if it would be without your help, thanks a lot for everything, i really appreciate it. Cant wait to finally buy all the parts and build my pc.
:) :D

TRENDING THREADS