[SOLVED] Can my MOBO support my new PSU? (14-pin to 24 pin) ?

Sep 8, 2021
My current computer is This lenovo tower.
it has an i7-6th gen, a gtx 750 and a stock 250w power supply.
I wanted to upgrade to a better graphics card and I ordered a used GTX 970. To use this new card I knew I had to upgrade to a better PSU and I purchased a 450 PSU.

My new PSU (CV450) has all of the necessary connectors for fans, hard drive, GPU etc, and a 24 pin motherboard connector.
The problem is my motherboard only has 14 pins going into it from the PSU and everything else is powered directly from the motherboard, rather than from the PSU.

If I just buy a 24-14 pin dongle and run it as it is now, will the motherboard even work with the increased wattage?

Solution
The current PSU is 12VO with 12Vsb. It won't start with a 5Vsb PSU and with a groupregulated unit like the CV450 you also need to pull current from 5v. If you don't, the voltage at 12v is out of spec. If you want to use a regular PSU in a 12VO system you need a PSU with DC-DC on the secundairy an you need to generate 12Vsb out of 5Vsb.
The current PSU is 12VO with 12Vsb. It won't start with a 5Vsb PSU and with a groupregulated unit like the CV450 you also need to pull current from 5v. If you don't, the voltage at 12v is out of spec. If you want to use a regular PSU in a 12VO system you need a PSU with DC-DC on the secundairy an you need to generate 12Vsb out of 5Vsb.

Solution