[SOLVED] can my Nvidia GTX 1060 handle a VG34VQL1B

sravencross

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
So i have a computer that i bought a few years ago that has a Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB card. Can this handle the ASUS
VG34VQL1B?

Last edited:
Solution
For steps up in resolution and or quality you will lose frames. If you are playing right now at 1080/60, the new monitor will do the same if you set it up to play that way. With the larger screen your desired resolution is probably higher, so in order to reach that frame rate at the higher res will result in lower frame rates in relation to the quality setting. You (might) be able to lower settings to get desired frame rate.

The kicker here will be the higher resolution as related to the GPU. The higher resolution you run the more the system is depending on the GPU to resolve the output, where lower resolutions are typically more dependent on the CPU.

So, long story short you should expect lower quality settings as you increase the...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Handle it to do what?

The simplest answer would be to consult the information on your GPU to see what it's resolution output/rate are in relation to what you wish to view on the monitor.
If you are thinking games you will have to consider the desired frame rate at what resolution. If only for static viewing or streaming videos from provider then just has to be compatible.

sravencross

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Handle it to do what?

The simplest answer would be to consult the information on your GPU to see what it's resolution output/rate are in relation to what you wish to view on the monitor.
If you are thinking games you will have to consider the desired frame rate at what resolution. If only for static viewing or streaming videos from provider then just has to be compatible.
ahh yea i am looking at it for gaming.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For steps up in resolution and or quality you will lose frames. If you are playing right now at 1080/60, the new monitor will do the same if you set it up to play that way. With the larger screen your desired resolution is probably higher, so in order to reach that frame rate at the higher res will result in lower frame rates in relation to the quality setting. You (might) be able to lower settings to get desired frame rate.

The kicker here will be the higher resolution as related to the GPU. The higher resolution you run the more the system is depending on the GPU to resolve the output, where lower resolutions are typically more dependent on the CPU.

So, long story short you should expect lower quality settings as you increase the output resolution. a 1060 is not going to be optimal for 2/4K, best with 1080 which will look pretty crappy on that big a monitor. If you are playing potato games it may not be as big an impact.

As a for instance, I game at an acceptable FPS on 2K high settings output, and generally Ultra settings on 1080 with an GTX1080.

Solution