Question Can my PC be saved after lightning strike ?

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
So one day i was doing my assignments when my monitor went black and i head a loud thunderstrike. A few seconds later my monitor turned on as normal and i immediately closed my pc and unplugged it. This happend to me many times and nothing is damaged, but today was different.

After a few hours i turned my pc on and my my monitor is [was] black and says going to sleep but my pc is turning on because i could hear the startup sound. I switched monitors, cables and my gpu but still nothing.

I pulled all of my ram sticks but one. Turned it on again, same black screen. But suddenly my psu fan was starting to get louder and louder. I knew it was the psu because i could feel the strong wind.

If i were to send this to the shop, is there hope?? And what seems to be the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Without some sense of the problem there is no way to know if a shop can help or not. There is always hope but how much is the real question.

First update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Try booting into safe mode. Hopefully you will be able to get some basic functionality - at least enough to do additional troubleshooting.

Are you sure that the source wall outlets are working? Plug in a lamp or radio to test.

You mentioned that the outages have happened "many times". Surge protectors can only absorb a certain/limited amount of electrical energy (Joules). Then the surge protection fails.

Are you using any UPS's, surge protectors, or power strips with a breaker?

If so, remove them and connect PC and monitor directly to known working wall outlets.

Try another known working monitor (or even a supported TV) on your PC.

Try your monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the black screen follows the monitor or stays with the computer.

Does the motherboard support integrated graphics via its own graphics port (no separate GPU)? If so pull the GPU and test the motherboard's iGPU as well.

Do you have access to another PSU to test with?

The overall plan is to narrow down the problem to some single component. In a manner that is repeatable by the shop.

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
I have switched everything that i could. Monitors, cables, gpu's, wall sockets etc. I do not have any other computer to test out the monitors. But im sure theyre fine. I could not enter safe mode because as i have mentioned earlier the psu fan got louder and louder / faster and faster for no apparent reason and because of that i dare not to turn my pc on again.

Specs are as follows:
I7 - 2600
Windows 10 64 Bit
16Gb DDR3
GTX1050 2gb / GTX750 Ti
320Gb HDD + 500Gb HDD

PSU Wattage - 320 watts