Question Can My PC Handle This GPU

Yawinsum

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Seeing as how GPU prices are plummeting I've been wanting to upgrade mine for a while now. The one I am interested in getting is EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB XC3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming. Currently I have a
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060. My PC specs are:

Intel Core i5 10400 2.9 GHz 2904 Mhz 6 core
Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
16GB Ram
650w PS

I know I need to upgrade my PS. EVGA's recommendations for that card is a 750w but should I go to 850 or is that overkill? Also, if that card wouldn't be a good fit can anyone recommend another card that might be?

Thanks in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Seeing as how GPU prices are plummeting I've been wanting to upgrade mine for a while now. The one I am interested in getting is EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB XC3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming. Currently I have a

16GB Ram
650w PS

I know I need to upgrade my PS. EVGA's recommendations for that card is a 750w but should I go to 850 or is that overkill? Also, if that card wouldn't be a good fit can anyone recommend another card that might be?

Thanks in advance!
What does "handle this GPU" mean to you?
You already know you need a new power supply.
Whether your PC will be imbalanced depends on the game and resolution. If you are running 1080p then your 3080 will be underutilized. If you are running 4K then your 3080 may be pushed.

Yawinsum

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Sorry I forgot to include that, I am running 1440p atm. I just meant is everything compatible, will it fit in the mobo (connectors and everything) stuff like that. I just don't want to buy it an be boned because it doesn't fit my sytem.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry I forgot to include that, I am running 1440p atm. I just meant is everything compatible, will it fit in the mobo (connectors and everything) stuff like that. I just don't want to buy it an be boned because it doesn't fit my sytem.
It has the same motherboard connection as your existing GPU. The POWER SUPPLY requirement is the big difference.

Reactions: spentshells

Yawinsum

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
The website says its only 2x8 pin. And thank you for the reminder on the case, it should be plenty big enough, I only have 2 slots used for my current card at the moment, all the rest are empty.

Yawinsum

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
However, do you need this upgrade? 3080s, even with dripping prices, still have a pretty hefty price tag.

Do I need it? No, of course not. But I still feel like I have to lower graphics settings on games to get them to run at decent FPS. For example I recently started playing 7 Days to Die heavily modified and I get a lot of stuttering and 1-2 second freezes with settings all fairly mid range. I realize that games like 7D2D are hard on GPUs but I am really ready for an upgrade.

Jul 12, 2022
Yeah, good that. I have seen some people upgrade GPU for no reason, other than like 20 more fps. Honestly, it all depends on the person. Me, for example, I want a 1060 6GB. Others complain about their 3090 not reaching 200 fps. It all depends on the person.

Jul 12, 2022

16GB Ram
650w PS

Thanks in advance!
Also, the 850 Watts PSU is awesome! Not too pricy, but it has plenty of power to get the job done.

TRENDING THREADS