[SOLVED] Can my psu handle a hd 7870 with an adapter?\

Aug 7, 2019
I bought a hp z400 and a hd 7850 gpu None have arrived, and I'm sure the hd 7850 would work well with the hp z400. Atleast thats what I thought, but the seller messaged saying that the title was mislabeled, and I'll be getting a hd 7870 (which is great for the price I paid, but might not be great for my psu). Turns out the hd 7870 needs two 6 pin connectors, when the hd 7850 only needs one 6 pin. Hp z400 only has one 6 pin but is a 475w psu with 80+ bronze rating. I've researched and some people say not to get adapters, since its not safe. But I don't really have much money and getting this pc all together before summer ends would be nice. 1x 24-Pin, 1x 6-Pin, 1x 4-Pin, 2x Molex, 2x Floppy, 5x SATA Would it be fine to get 2 molex to 6 pin and use the native 6 pin also Or use a 6 pin splitter (doesnt sound like a good idea to me) People say psu come with the connectors that they can handle, and adapters push the psu to much and can cause a fire, is that usually the case with prebuilts, and does the hd 7870 really need so much more power than hd 7850?

Update: I asked my mom for money and got enough for a psu and the adapter that hp z400 needs

Last edited:
Solution
I bought it because I didn't want to upgrade the psu afterwards, it seemed easier to get a desktop with a decent psu already in it. I have 30$ left, and upgrading the psu would require me to buy the 15$ 24 pin to 24 pin to upgrade it. idk what to do, I could return the gpu, but I don't like doing that since its a hd 7870 for 33$. I've heard it performs like a gtx 1050.
I can completely understand that.

Unfortunately using adapters on those PSUs is a one way route to causing instability or damage, and the last thing we'd want you to do is buy a GPU, for the PSU to kill it. Especially considering the PSU could be 10 years old, I wouldn't use many of the latest top quality PSUs after 10 years usage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I've researched and some people say not to get adapters, since its not safe.
This is true, because if a PSU doesn't have the connector, it usually means it wasn't made to power that type of component. So personally, I also recommend getting a new PSU instead of using adapters. I understand people have budgets, but there is no price on safety.

What PSU make and model is it?
How old is it?

Aug 7, 2019
Why would you buy such an old PC? They sell for $100 refurbished for a reason!!!!

No, the 475W PSU that comes with that HP is not made to power graphics cards requiring additional power via a PCIe power connector.
Why would you buy such an old PC? They sell for $100 refurbished for a reason!!!!

No, the 475W PSU that comes with that HP is not made to power graphics cards requiring additional power via a PCIe power connector.
I bought it because I didn't want to upgrade the psu afterwards, it seemed easier to get a desktop with a decent psu already in it. I have 30$ left, and upgrading the psu would require me to buy the 15$ 24 pin to 24 pin to upgrade it. idk what to do, I could return the gpu, but I don't like doing that since its a hd 7870 for 33$. I've heard it performs like a gtx 1050.

Aug 7, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

This is true, because if a PSU doesn't have the connector, it usually means it wasn't made to power that type of component. So personally, I also recommend getting a new PSU instead of using adapters. I understand people have budgets, but there is no price on safety.

What PSU make and model is it?
How old is it?
HP 468930-001

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Unfortunately using adapters on those PSUs is a one way route to causing instability or damage, and the last thing we'd want you to do is buy a GPU, for the PSU to kill it. Especially considering the PSU could be 10 years old, I wouldn't use many of the latest top quality PSUs after 10 years usage.

Solution
Aug 7, 2019

Then I will have to see what I can do about the gpu, I def don't wanna put it into my pc anymore. I'll try to get another gpu or upgrade the psu.
Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Then I will have to see what I can do about the gpu, I def don't wanna put it into my pc anymore. I'll try to get another gpu or upgrade the psu.
Thanks
You can pick up a Corsair CX model for little, which will come with a 5 year warranty, and is the most budget friendly PSU that is still decent quality in most cases - it's not top quality, but it's decent quality and budget friendly.

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Might get away with 450W which will be a fair bit cheaper, but I haven't looked deeply into HD7870 power consumption.

Thanks

Ok.. I thought you were saying you bought a hp z400 and a hd 7850 gpu and that neither of those two parts have arrived (re-read the first two sentences in your OP).

So you already have the HP? Or did you just buy the HP? If you already have the HP, I get it. If you just bought it, return it.

If you already own the HP, the good news is it's a standard ATX power supply with standard power connectors, so you can just buy a standard ATX power supply to put in there.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 7, 2019
Ok.. I thought you were saying you bought a hp z400 and a hd 7850 gpu and that neither of those two parts have arrived (re-read the first two sentences in your OP).

So you already have the HP? Or did you just buy the HP? If you already have the HP, I get it. If you just bought it, return it.

If you already own the HP, the good news is it's a standard ATX power supply with standard power connectors, so you can just buy a standard ATX power supply to put in there.
The HP arrives in 2 days, I don't have a reason to return it, I can return the gpu though
Do you think I could get a better pc for 100$?
I'm thinking of asking my brother for borrowed money, and just upgrading the psu

Aug 7, 2019
Yes you do. It's an 8 year old PC.

I can't understand why anyone would buy an 8 year old PC unless it was a gift for their grandmother.
I don't have much options for 100$, and the xeon seems to hold up for casual gaming
I'm not planning on playing the most intense games
And ebay doesn't work like that, unless the seller is very nice. I can't just buy a computer and look at the date and decide to return it
I would probably have to atleast pay shipping