Question Can my PSU handle Radeon 6770

Dec 25, 2019
I'll start by saying that i know its 2019 and that the gpu is super old but i got it for free anyway my pc itself is 6 years old but thats not important im wondering if my power supply could handle radeon 6770. My power supply is LC420H-8 and it has 420W(i know its garbage) but the question is if it could handle it cause i have seen that 6770 needs around 108W(it needs 6 pin cable which my psu doesnt have so i thought about buying adapter for molex to 6pin cable). My components are AMD A6-3670 APU current gpu radeon 6450(its not a big update but as i said i got it for free) 4gb ddr3 mb a75f-m2 500gb of hdd and i have connected that thing for CD's. It'd be awsome if i got some help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That psu has 15amps on 12v rail. That's 180w to run the entire pc IF it can even get to its rated output, which many of those uber cheapo psus cannot, there's a reason it doesn't have a 6pin pcie. It's simply not designed for the 150w+ 12v draw a pcie slot and 6pin power can pull.

Basically, absolutely not. 2 things are going to happen if you try, it's not a matter of IF, but of When. The pc will boot, for certain, the draw will be reasonable and viable. Then you'll play a game. That's when the gpu will really see a decent load and that's when the 2 things will happen, and it'll be one or the other. Either pc will blackout/bsod due to voltage demands not met OR the psu will blow/short/fry and then it'll be a matter of what other damages have occurred.

In a nutshell, I'd not use that psu shaped object for even a doorstop or paperweight, it's too light.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
Notice the ratings vrs actual loads.

Reactions: 4745454b
Dec 25, 2019
A decent 350w can run the card. LC doesn't make good power supplies. Please upgrade your PSU if you want to run the card.
That psu has 15amps on 12v rail. That's 180w to run the entire pc IF it can even get to its rated output, which many of those uber cheapo psus cannot, there's a reason it doesn't have a 6pin pcie. It's simply not designed for the 150w+ 12v draw a pcie slot and 6pin power can pull.

Basically, absolutely not. 2 things are going to happen if you try, it's not a matter of IF, but of When. The pc will boot, for certain, the draw will be reasonable and viable. Then you'll play a game. That's when the gpu will really see a decent load and that's when the 2 things will happen, and it'll be one or the other. Either pc will blackout/bsod due to voltage demands not met OR the psu will blow/short/fry and then it'll be a matter of what other damages have occurred.

In a nutshell, I'd not use that psu shaped object for even a doorstop or paperweight, it's too light.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
Notice the ratings vrs actual loads.
I've done some googling as im lifeless and the gpu is VTX Radeon HD 6770 and i have read that that model needs 350W does that change anything at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
I've done some googling as im lifeless and the gpu is VTX Radeon HD 6770 and i have read that that model needs 350W does that change anything at all?

Remember, the basic problem is that it's not really even a 350W. It could be an amazingly designed PSU otherwise, with a modern design and top-grade capacitors, but the specs mean that for all intents and purposes, it's a 180W PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your pc is alive because it's not been punished. Most of the older, low end gpus that don't rely on external power like a GT710 generally only pull @ 20w or so, but some can and do pull upto 75w area. If you can get the card working that hard, which is hard since it's spec'd so low. If you figure that psu is generally used to push a cpu that tops out at @ 50w, and a few other components like fans and motherboard etc that might see a total of 50w, you really aren't pushing much wattage on a daily basis. You'll be lucky to be using @ 120w out of that 180w 12v rail.

So you've been covered, so far. The problems arise when ppl see a 420w rating, and figure they have somewhere around that area to play with. They don't. They have @ 170w at best, as the rest of that 420w is taken up by the 3.3v and 5v+ rails, and the motherboard logic circuits are all that uses 3.3v and drives/USB uses 5v+. Totally do not need much there anymore.

With a decent, modern DC-DC psu, if it claims 420w, you can expect at least 400w and maybe closer to 410w on the 12v rail. Huge difference in ability.

Reactions: athosp