Can my PSU support a GTX 970??

velorium_kampf

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I have a Silverstone Strider 560W which is running for about 8 years now.

Can it still power my rig if I bought a new Videocard like the GTX 970?

My specs are:

i5 2500k
7870 GPU
8gb ram
2 HDD
3 120mm Corsair Performance fans

Solution
System Power Supply Requirements for a single NVIDIA Reference Design GeForce GTX 970
NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. (Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz 130 Watt TDP processor.)
the system power supply must also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater
the system power supply should also have at least two 75-Watt 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. There are some non-reference design cards that require one 75-Watt 6-pin and one 150-Watt 8-pin PCI...
System Power Supply Requirements for a single NVIDIA Reference Design GeForce GTX 970
NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. (Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz 130 Watt TDP processor.)
the system power supply must also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater
the system power supply should also have at least two 75-Watt 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. There are some non-reference design cards that require one 75-Watt 6-pin and one 150-Watt 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors or just one 150-Watt 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

SilverStone Strider ST56F (SST-ST56F)
OEM: Enhance Electronics
maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating: 36 Amps <===== Sufficient
two 75-Watt 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors <===== Sufficient for Reference Design Card. Insufficient for some non-reference design cards.
Modular Output Cables: No
Official Intel Haswell Compliance: No
• No 80 PLUS Efficiency Certification

The PSU may have lost some of its capacity due to the age of the cheap TEAPO electrolytic capacitors used in its construction.

Solution

velorium_kampf

Reputable
May 12, 2015

^

I'm currently eyeing on the Zotac GTX 970 (the 2 fans edition) since it seems to be the least demanding in terms of power requirements.

Will my PSU still be sufficient? or should I get a better PSU?

That ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 ZT-90101-10P is closer to the NVIDIA Reference Design GeForce GTX 970 card in terms of clock speed and power requirements. It may draw slightly more power or slightly less power than your Radeon HD 7870 (depending upon which brand and model of Radeon HD 7870 card you have).

Are you overclocking the i5-2500K? If yes then keep it below 4.6 GHz. Above that clock speed the CPU's power requirement rises drastically.

It's difficult to say how much the PSU's capacitors may have deteriorated. High heat inside the PSU tends to accelerate the deterioration.

You should be planning on getting a more efficient PSU.