Can my RAM be fixed?

itbemedapanda

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
I have 8gbs(2 4gb) of ram installed on my PC but earlier today while watching a movie my computer crashed. I shut the computer off by holding the power button and It stopped working for a time after that but after some troubleshooting I figured out that it was my ram. One of my ram sticks doesn't work. I've tried switching the ports that the ram stick was in but that didn't work. My other ram stick works in both slots and the PC work fine with just the one. I was wondering if I could somehow fix this one ram stick or should i just go ahead and buy another stick? And if i do have to buy another stick how similar should the RAMs be to one another?

Solution
If a RAM stick is dead there is nothing you can do to fix it. You can try to clear the CMOS and increase the RAM voltage a bit. However it won't fix the RAM stick, it may make the memory controller more stable, but eventually this specific RAM stick will fail completely. You should try to RMA it. Most of the RAM sticks today come with limited lifetime warranty. Just keep in mind that you have to return both the RAM sticks, if you bought them as a set.

Now if you want to pair different RAM sticks together, they must have very close specs. Especially the voltage and frequency should be the same. Also keep in mind that if you want to pair two dissimilar RAM sticks they should be configured with the specs of the slowest of the two, unless...
Not fixable.
It's essentially multiple chips soldered to a circuit board. What would you fix? It's going to be a bad chip.

How similar?
First of all, there's no guarantee even an "identical" (same model number) chip works that's made at a different date but at the very least you should have:

1) same frequency
2) same CAS value
3) unbuffered (I assume)
4) non-ECC (I assume)
5) same type

for example,
DDR4
CL16
3000MHz
non-buffered
non-ECC

Not sure if it's DDR3 or DDR4 or even what CPU you have. Install it, test it with MEMTEST86 www.memtest86.com then if there's a reason due to memory bandwidth attempt to overclock/raise the frequency.

PCPARTPICKER may have links for you... try finding the same model first (i.e. 1x4GB same stick).

OTHER:
WARRANTIES are often lifetime for memory and if so perhaps get a cheap but compatible stick then send in the entire kit, or maybe buy another 2x4GB (preferably identical) kit, swap, send in current kit with defective stick, then upgrade to 4x4GB when you get the replacement.

If a RAM stick is dead there is nothing you can do to fix it. You can try to clear the CMOS and increase the RAM voltage a bit. However it won't fix the RAM stick, it may make the memory controller more stable, but eventually this specific RAM stick will fail completely. You should try to RMA it. Most of the RAM sticks today come with limited lifetime warranty. Just keep in mind that you have to return both the RAM sticks, if you bought them as a set.

Now if you want to pair different RAM sticks together, they must have very close specs. Especially the voltage and frequency should be the same. Also keep in mind that if you want to pair two dissimilar RAM sticks they should be configured with the specs of the slowest of the two, unless you want to overclock it off course which isn't recommended since RAM stability issues may arise. Finally you should test both of them with memtest in order to be certain that you RAM config is error free.Good luck.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Almost all name brand memory has a lifetime warranty. If' you've isolated a bad stick you should RMA it if you can.