[SOLVED] Can not open ports even with firewall disabled, DMZ mode, and need to know why

CharlieEfnChapman

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
I've been beating my head against the wall with this one.

I've been trying to host an Ubuntu server running on Hyper-Z. I get mariadb installed and everything compiled from github on the Ubuntu client, it executes properly and the terminal application says it's "listening" on the appropriate port.

The problem is I cannot get a response from an external website testing that the ports are open.

I've disabled windows firewall, I've disabled ufw in ubuntu, and put my router in DMZ mode. I've added the exceptions to the windows firewall and the router just to make extra certain.

The modem/router is a Pace 5168N. I've called my ISP and they say to just follow the instructions, they don't provide support for port forwarding. I've followed all of the instructions from a variety of sources, disabled the advanced firewall features, and this damned thing won't open those ports!

Am I missing something obvious somewhere in this chain of bologna?

Solution
If we assume you have the port forwarding and/or the dmz configured correctly the 2 most common issues are

There is not a program actually active on the port. Be very sure that you can connect on your lan network and that the server itself can ping IP addresses like 8.8.8.8

The other one is that you do not have a public IP address. Most routers have the wan IP on one of the screens. If this ip is not the same as a site like whatsmyip says you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

After these two it gets very hard to say. Either the traffic is not getting to the server at all or it is getting there but the server is not responding. Something like wireshark will give you a clue but not really tell...

CharlieEfnChapman

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Does the following link provide matching information for your Pace 5168N?

https://www.cfos.de/en-us/cfos-personal-net/port-forwarding/pace-5168n.htm

Yep, that's the one.

I've managed to get the server operational in Windows, but I can only connect to it on my internal network. Anyone from outside my network is unable to connect.

When I run it on my Ubuntu VM I cannot connect to the server on my internal network or from outside the network.

It's game server so access from outside my network is required.

I've set up an external switch in Hyper-Z but my Ubuntu VM was still assigned a DHCP IP address, which I assume won't work. Do I need the VM to somehow use my static IP so others can "see it"?

If we assume you have the port forwarding and/or the dmz configured correctly the 2 most common issues are

There is not a program actually active on the port. Be very sure that you can connect on your lan network and that the server itself can ping IP addresses like 8.8.8.8

The other one is that you do not have a public IP address. Most routers have the wan IP on one of the screens. If this ip is not the same as a site like whatsmyip says you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

After these two it gets very hard to say. Either the traffic is not getting to the server at all or it is getting there but the server is not responding. Something like wireshark will give you a clue but not really tell you how to fix it.

Solution