Question Can old micro-USB cord cause a short if pressed into a USB-c device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I had an old micro-USB port wire connected to my computer. I still use it for a music player. I couldn't remember if it was my usb-c for my newer devices (wasn't wearing my glasses), so I tried to plug it into my Amazon Kindle Fire 10 HD to see if it fit.

I might have pushed a little bit, but not with any force. But my Kindle will not turn on now. And I saw no light when I tried to charge it; not sure where the charging light is, for it has a case and I haven't looked for it. I used it last two days ago, and I didn't charge it afterward. I think it had above 50% battery life. After this Darwin Award mishap, I charged it for 4 hours, and no change.

The kicker is I didn't turn it on to see if it could turn on before I attempted to plug it into my computer. I wanted to copy some files over before a trip, and i just wanted to see if it would fit. But I think I caused a short.

Can old micro-USB cord cause a short if pressed into a USB-c device? What are my options? Thanks

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If you've thoroughly "mangled" the USB socket in the Kindle and bent the pins out of alignment, the only way to fix it would be to open up the reader, de-solder the broken connector at a hot air rework station and solder a new connector in its place.

If the damage is external to the Kindle, i.e. the USB plug on the end of the charger lead is destroyed, you could try a different charger/cable and keep your fingers crossed. The old charger might be "toast" and the Kindle OK.

I fixed a micro USB socket on an audio book player that had become partially detached, using a hot air workstation and judicious amounts of flux cream and solder paste. The hidden connections were far too small and delicate to try using a soldering iron bit and rosin cored solder.

A few seconds with a fine nozzle on the hot air tool and the solder paste melted fixing the dry joints. This is not a job for the uninitiated. A hot air rework station will set you back $100+, potentially more than a new Kindle.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am not able to see any damage. Nothing looks mangled at all.

It seems like I should be seeing more posts from a few years ago where people damaged usb-c devices trying to plug them into micro-usb chargers. And it was not a force thing; it was a soft but firm, is this the right charger type of press.

It also seems like this would have been accounted for when the usb-c was designed, making it so that the previous standard, if used by accident, would not damage anything.

Is there anything specific to look for if I open it up?

If I search for a cheap, used, replacement, 32GB with adds, for example, is there any way to swap out internal parts and make it 64GB no adds.

This is my version:
Fire HD 10 Tablet (10.1" 1080p full HD display 64 GB) – Black – Without Lockscreen Ads (2019 Release)

Is there anything salvageable inside?

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tablets are pretty much entirely BGA, you can't do anything with the internals unless you REALLY need some memory or something else to repair another similar device. Someone might want the screen as the most commonly damaged component. You could certainly sell the whole thing as parts only. Though given the problem, I'm sure someone with the appropriate skills would buy it, fix the charging port/circuit and re-sell it.

These things are designed to be disposable. Sad, but that is what allows them to be as thin as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.