Can one man's trash be another man's treasure?

Nov 6, 2018
Howdy ya'll,

So a couple of weeks ago I found this old HP 3340 PC in the trash, and thought to myself I would be able to fix it. First things I noticed while examining the interior was missing RAM, 500 GB HDD, The original motherboard and the PSU.I then proceeded to cleaning the interior and other components of Dust etc and re-assembled it waiting for the RAM. After I had bought 6 GB DDR3 RAM I turned on the PC and as expected it shut down 5-10 seconds afterwards. So I took everything apart and assembled it outside the Case to trial and error the problem ,however, first attempt it turned on and I was actually able to get a signal to my monitor and get to the reboot phase however I noticed 2-3 minutes after doing so the CPU fan cooler started speeding up at an alarming rate and out of fear I turned off the PC. I think that the problem lies with CPU temperature management but I'm not too sure if that's the only problem at this point. Anyone have any idea of what I could try do next?

BUILD:
Intel core I5 2400
PSU
Mobo
DDR3 RAM 6GB

Thanks in advance for any form of constructive feedback :)

Nov 6, 2018
No, I didn't . I completely forgot about the Thermal paste. I'll re apply the thermal paste and see what happens next.
Ty for reminding me.