can only boot in safe after new memory

rwillis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I have and asus a8v deluxe with athlon64 3200+ and 2x512 ram installed. I tried to add an additional 1gig stick, but after the computer wouldn't boot "due to cpu overclocking" i realized my mobo doesnt support the configuration i tried (2x512 + 1gig). I pulled it out and the computer booted fine, but now 2-3 seconds into windows the whole thing freezes and/or the whole screen goes to those plaid-patterny artifacts. I can only boot into safe now. I have no idea where the "overclocking" came from; I have never attempted to overclock the cpu. I didn't do ANYTHING except pop the new ram in, boot unsuccesfully, and pull it out again. I very confused and pissed off because i want to get back to playing bioshock and i hate spending money, so please help!

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Reinstall windows?
Yikes! A drastic solution... but his rig won't run due to memory misconfiguration in BIOS - good luck installing Windows in that situation.
rwillis, the BIOS automatically detects things (size, voltage, speed, timings) when memchips are installed. You have spooked your mobo rather badly, by moving chips around and 'breaking' the 128-bit mode ie. dual-channel operation.
Now when you first start your rig, you are now going to have to enter BIOS and select memory configuration.
Size is auto-detected; speed is sometimes adjustable; voltage and timings are usually Auto with Sony Viao - so get in there and see why your nice 2 x 512MB are no longer working :fou:
If you can't get it back the way it was, maybe you squeeked one of the memchips...
What you need is 2 x 1GB (but DDR is bloody way more expensive than DDR2! Who knew?)
Anyway, check out that BIOS,
Regards

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I second the_ogs's suggestion. Re-installing windows won't solve the problem. Check out the BIOS and see if you can fix the problem. Perhaps also run memtest.