Can Only Boot in Safe Mode, Cant' Repair or Reset Win10

Aug 7, 2018
So here's the back story. I was playing a game on my Windows 10 PC when my screens glitched out and then went dark. I could still hear sounds in the background but had to do a hard reset. It comes back on, but only 2 of 3 monitors come on (I'm running 2 HDMI into DVI ports and one into a display port) but they are black. It's the black glow that says it's on but not displaying anything.

I get into repair mode after three resets and it cannot repair my system. I am, however, able to boot in safe mode and access everything like normal. Some other items of note: my Windows Update menu in settings is blank. Totally blank. When I try to reset my machine it either can't do it in safe mode or, when I do it repair mode, it does all the prep, gets to installing, then goes dark after another restart - two screens glowing but dark. I've hit a brick wall and I have idea what to do. All of my hardware except my video card is less than two years old, the video card is...older. I'll list my specs below.

Side note: should memory show up as a drop down under Device Manager?

AMD FX 8350 processor
Corsair Force LE SSD
WD HDD
AMD Radeon 6800

Aug 7, 2018

That was my first reaction too! I talked to a tech friend and he said that, if I can get into safe mode, it's not a graphics card issue so I sort of blew that off.

For months I've had over heating issues with my card (breaking 80C whenever I play Overwatch). I know it's old as dirt. I'd take the side panel off to let in more air and when I upgraded everything else, I moved it away from the CPU in the case and it really helped (I used to get warnings that my CPU was over heating but I know it was proximity to the GPU because it stopped alerting me when I swapped cases and placement). I've even had it shut down on multiple occasions mid-game due to heating.

Well, as I was typing my first post, my wife was picking up a GeForce GTX 1060 for me. I installed it and was actually able to boot into my OS like normal. It looks like crap as I download drivers, and it won't detect my other two monitors plugged in, but this is a huge step forward. Here's hoping this doesn't become a "my new graphics card can't detect my monitors" thread.