[SOLVED] Can only boot pc through BIOS screen after installing new SSD

Sep 21, 2021
I bought a new SSD recently, Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb. I have a asus b360m-a mother board. My pc already had a Sata SSD, but was only 250gb. I installed the new SSD and tried to use Samsung data migration to clone the new SSD. After I had done that, I went into BIOS and tried to set it as normal boot device.

I kept getting the black screen that says it is not a bootable drive and to either pick a bootable drive or insert start up media. I then tried to install windows on the new SSD through a usb. I have checked disk management and apparently my new SSD is the boot drive.

The issue is that every time I restart or boot up the pc, I get the blue screen with the error message about recovery, or the black screen saying it is not a bootable drive. BUT if I go into BIOS and choose to boot up from windows boot manager followed by the name of my old SSD, it boots up just fine. The stranger part is how disk management says the new SSD is my boot drive but in the bios menu I choose the old SSD windows boot manager.

To be honest, I am a little over my head here and not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also when the boot does go through after choosing the drive on BIOS, it loads a blue screen asking which windows 10 to load (windows 10 volume 9 or windows 10 volume 4). Not sure if that helps. Thank you again for any help.

Motherboard: Asus b360M-A

SSD: Samsung evo 970 plus

Solution
if you installed Windows, or cloned it, onto a separate drive without also removing or formatting the previous drive there are still system partitions located on the previous drive that are more than likely interfering with the OS boot process.

if you installed Windows, or cloned it, onto a separate drive without also removing or formatting the previous drive there are still system partitions located on the previous drive that are more than likely interfering with the OS boot process.

Reactions: jcrawley14
Solution
Sep 21, 2021

Ok so to move forward from here, do I have the option of formatting my old drive and that should work? Or will that not work and I should format new SSD and start installation over? If I can avoid formatting the new one that would be great but I don't mind formatting the old one.

I should format new SSD and start installation over? If I can avoid formatting the new one that would be great but I don't mind formatting the old one.
when performing the installation the OS location will be formatted again anyway so going through the process yourself wouldn't be necessary.

but for the 2nd storage drive yes, you should delete all partitions and format the disk.

Reactions: jcrawley14
Sep 21, 2021
@JohnBonhamsGhost so bad news :(.. I shut off the pc last night and booted up today to the blue screen.. then heading into bios trying to boot from new ssd it still says it is not a bootable drive. I already formatted the old SSD and tried to delete partitions but one of them won't delete because it says it is on the boot drive, even though disk manager says the new SSD is the boot drive. I tried using cmdprompt to delete partition and to clean disk but it wouldn't allow me. Not sure what to do next. I wanted to try just disconnecting the old SSD altogether but I have a feeling the new SSD won't boot, because I keep getting that black screen saying it isn't a bootable drive. It is super strange because after the format and deleting of one of the partitions, I was able to reboot and have no issues, but then today ------> :(((((((