Question Can Only Boot with 1 Stick of RAM in a Specific Slot ?

Nov 29, 2020
Hi,

Recently I changed my CPU cooler to a brand new one, in the process of installing the new fan I need to unplug both of my RAM.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M Gaming 3
CPU cooler - ID Cooling SE 902 SD
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Core - i7 4790K

Now the problem is that I can only boot with one stick of RAM in a SPECIFIC slot, which is the second slot. My motherboard only has 2 RAM slots so I've tried every single possibilities. I've tried different RAMs and every single one of them is working properly if slotted it to the second slot - I'm able to successfully boot my PC. But if I put a ram on the first slot my PC is always trying to boot but keeps failing.

The problem started happening after I changed my CPU cooler, and yes I've tried to start my PC without the fan plugged in just in case it was my PSU was not giving enough power but I still can't boot with 2 sticks of ram in both slots.

So I was wondering, where does the problem actually come from? Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Recently I changed my CPU cooler to a brand new one, in the process of installing the new fan I need to unplug both of my RAM.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M Gaming 3
CPU cooler - ID Cooling SE 902 SD
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Core - i7 4790K

Now the problem is that I can only boot with one stick of RAM in a SPECIFIC slot, which is the second slot. My motherboard only has 2 RAM slots so I've tried every single possibilities. I've tried different RAMs and every single one of them is working properly if slotted it to the second slot - I'm able to successfully boot my PC. But if I put a ram on the first slot my PC is always trying to boot but keeps failing.

The problem started happening after I changed my CPU cooler, and yes I've tried to start my PC without the fan plugged in just in case it was my PSU was not giving enough power but I still can't boot with 2 sticks of ram in both slots.

So I was wondering, where does the problem actually come from? Any ideas?
Did you remove the CPU from the socket when you changed the cooler? If so you may have bent some pins. Have you checked for bent pins?

Nov 29, 2020
Thanks for the response!
Replying to rocktalkrock - yes I've checked actually, nothing seems out of the ordinary, no dirt stuck in there or any bent ram slot pins.
Replying to kanewolf - i thought that might be the case earlier so I've checked, no bent pins on the socket either.

I've called a friend of mine who is a tech savvy, apparently he concludes that the motherboard is at fault and the only fix is of course to replace it.

Anyways, thanks for the response gladly appreciated!