Question Can only use 1 DIMM after CPU upgrade

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, all,

I am sorry if this is a tired subject. I scoured the Internet looking for options, tried a few things and am coming up short. could really use your help...

On my MSI Z77A-G45 board I was using 2 DIMMs memory with an Intel I5-3550 processor.

After upgrading to an I7-3770S, the board will only allow me to use 1 DIMM - i.e. will not POST if I put in the second stick. So, being the troubleshooter, I put the old processor in and still only 1 DIMM will work. Bummer.

After doing some reading on the Internet (including this forum) multiple people suggested possible bent socket pins. I looked at the socket from multiple angles and don't really see anything out of place.

Is there something else you can think of that is causing my board to only allow 1 DIMM?

I've verified both sticks are OK and tried different DIMMs.

I ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - everything passed
Is there an MSI diagnostic tool I should run?

I reset BIOS to default settings.
BTW - I was unable to completely clear CMOS, which I thought was odd. I tried the jumper and removing the battery. I didn't spend too much time on this, as the original CPU (that worked with the existing BIOS settings) wasn't working either.

I unplugged non-essentials - just had memory sticks in.

Thanks for your help.

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just 1 slot that doesn't work specifically, or is irrelevant as to what slot it is in, as soon as 2 are entered, it stops?
Are the RAM modules from the same pack?
How were you not able to completely reset CMOS?

irrelevant as to what slot it is in, as soon as 2 are entered, it stops - technically there are certain DIMMS required because it's dual channel, but to your point irrelevant as I know which ones are required and tried different sticks in different DIMMS.

Yes RAM is a two-stick pack - Gskill RipjawsX - F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Not sure how to answer your CMOS question other than what I stated in the original post. If you're asking how I know it's not reset, it's because the old settings were still there including over-clock profiles I customized.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would clear the CMOS using the jumper shown on page 1-31 of your manual.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AG45#down-manual
Try these steps to do that:
  1. unplug the PSU
  2. press and hold the Power Button for at least 30 seconds
  3. Jump/short the clear CMOS jumper for 10-15 seconds
  4. plug the PSU ack in and reboot.
If that doesn't work, I would unplug the PSU, hold in the Power Button for 30 seconds, then remove the on board battery for at least 5 minutes.

Reactions: PC Tailor

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
I would clear the CMOS using the jumper shown on page 1-31 of your manual.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AG45#down-manual
Try these steps to do that:
  1. unplug the PSU
  2. press and hold the Power Button for at least 30 seconds
  3. Jump/short the clear CMOS jumper for 10-15 seconds
  4. plug the PSU ack in and reboot.
If that doesn't work, I would unplug the PSU, hold in the Power Button for 30 seconds, then remove the on board battery for at least 5 minutes.
Similar result... It will set to default settings, but keep my OC profiles. No idea where it's keeping that when I remove the battery.

Nonetheless, this did not fix my issue of not booting with 2 DIMMS.

Worth a try anyway... thanks for the suggestion.

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Some good news...

After taking the pictures, I decided to try various DIMMs again. I was able to get DIMMS 1 and 2 working together - i.e. 16 GB. However, that's not the configuration for dual channel; should be DIMMs 1 and 3.

I could not get 2/3 working, or 2/4, 3/4, or 1/4.

Any additional thoughts or comments on the socket pictures are appreciated.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Some good news...

After taking the pictures, I decided to try various DIMMs again. I was able to get DIMMS 1 and 2 working together - i.e. 16 GB. However, that's not the configuration for dual channel; should be DIMMs 1 and 3.

I could not get 2/3 working, or 2/4, 3/4, or 1/4.

Any additional thoughts or comments on the socket pictures are appreciated.

Well that certainly sounds like you have a dead channel. Getting 1&2 to show 16gb, but not 3&4. My guess is something is wrong with the DIMM slots or their connection with with the CPU socket, or there is something wrong with the socket. I doubt both CPU's have a dead channel.

I looked at the pictures, I don't see anything either. I just can't think of anything else. The only thing that changed from it working to not working was taking the old CPU out and putting a new one in.

Last edited:

fganter

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with Dunlop above, initial thought was also bent pins.
Equally too much pressure from the cooler to the CPU can cause slots to malfunction, what cooler are you using?

Cooler Master tower.

I tried with just the tower (without the bracket that tightens it down on the CPU) and same result.

Even though I don't believe its too much pressure from the tower, I do believe the tower had a hand in this, as getting it off initially was problematic and I'm guessing that's when something got damaged. I'm just trying to figure out what! :)