Question Can only use 1 x DDR5 RAM stick on Asus Z690e Rog Strix mobo ?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hey guys,

Im really stumped and dont know how to proceed. I just built a new PC with an i9-12900k and Asus z690e Rog Strix mobo. I had to wait for my GPU to arrive in mail this week but when it did i completed the build and went to turn it on and install Windows 11 from a flash drive but got blank screens. I couldnt even get into bios. I realized i was using my installed GPU's instead of onboard graphics so i switched to those and still had nothing. After that I checked the Q-code on the mobo and it was code 55 which appears to be a memory error when you google it. I removed the stick in B2 slot and system booted. I then tried the stick i removed in A2 by itself and it booted yet again. I also tried them both together in A1-A2 config and it booted. But when I tried either stick of RAM in either B slot by themselves it would not boot. So it looks like my B-channel is dead.

I then decided to keep one chip in and install windows, update bios to newest version, and install chipset driver. I then tried A2-B2 again and still got nothing.

I stopped at this point and started researching the issue and to my dismay i saw multiple posts where people have had same or similar issue my motherboard and quite few other boards by ASUS and even for some other manufacturers. I tried reseating the CPU and didnt tighten down as much on it the second time around but still got nothing. Alot of people in some of the other posts i saw were actually able to post to bios so dont think we had same issue so i couldnt fiddle with XMP or the one voltage setting they mentioned.

I read one that talked about some kind of short and they talked about placing paper washers somewhere on motherboard to prevent it. Im not sure if thats my issue or if its just a bad motherboard and Ram combo. My Ram is listed on QVL for mobo but only as a single 32GB stick not the 2x32 kit i bought. On the other hand, if its the short i read about then im def returning board because im not jury rigging a brand new $400 motherboard.

Need some advice because I cant decide if i should just return motherboard to Amazon, purchase another one (maybe avoid ASUS this time around) and keep my fingers crossed hoping that fixes the problem? Or is a better alternative to return my RAM to Newegg and purchase one thats specifically on QVL sheet for my board and hope its actually not the board itself or something bad like me maybe tightening CPU screws to tight my 1st time around? Could it even be BIOS related and newest version i installed also has issue?

Heres my entire build...
Cpu - i9-12900k
Mobo - ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
PSU - Corsair HX1200
AIO - H150i Elite Capellix 360mm
Ram - 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial 4800mhz DDR5
GPU1 - MSI Radeon RX 6800XT Gaming Z trio
GPU2 - VisionTek AMD Radeon 2 GB HD 7750 Eye 4 (4x mDP)
Case - beQuiet! Silent Base 802

Thanks in advance.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
It appears its the motherboard all right - link

Most of the cases I can find are Asus motherboards.

Did you look on the Crucial website and see if they tested ram on board?
is it this set? https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr5/ct2k32g48c40u5/ct20968237 as it that is what Crucial tested with board.
Yes its that RAM kit. Thank u for that link. I didnt see that when i was searching online. Now i know RAM/mobo combo isnt issue.

Now i have to chk for bent pins. Really hoping its just bad mobo or the issue where u need to use paper washers on standoffs to prevent short and not CPU.

Thanks again!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
note: Motherboard makers finicky about ram that isn't on QVL so if it is MB problem, I would just say its 1 stick as its on their listing.

Not sure if they would refund or just replace Motherboard.
Ordered from Amazon and am still in my return window. Thinking I'll be ok but not positive about that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Just realized something. Pins appear to be on mobo not CPU. CPU looks different in spots but its more like a different shade of color in certain areas but i know it came like that. Mobo looks like it might have 3-4 pins in different locations bent. I have magnifying glass and am going to look for some examples online of what board should and should not look like.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
A few pins in this pic look bent to me.
mobo-pic.jpg

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Thinking i need to return mobo to amazon. Anyone have any suggestions as to what i should replace board with? Since it looks like bent pins do u think i could replace with same board? Crucial does say my RAM works with my board, just not sure if I should chance it. Worried i might have different issue next time around considering how many threads are online discussing issues with the Z690e board an LGA1700 CPU's.

If not, do u guys have any recommendations for boards that are known to work with my CPU. Really wanted to have a PCIe 5 slot for some future proofing and I really dont need more then 2 Nvme slots. Might OC down the road so want something with decent VRM's. Wifi, BT and onboard graphics also needed. Plus, price equal to or less then the ASUS board i have which was $399.99

Thanks in advance!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
If you send it back, they will qualify this as user damage. No warranty for this type of damage.
Try to straighten pins first. Needs a lot of patience and steady hands.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU
Its from Amazon. I actually just started return process on their site and it just told me to bring box to UPS store and nothing else. Im thinking i have nothing to worry about. Have u heard of anyone ever having a different experience with them?

Thanks again.

Was the motherboard sold to you as new/unopened?
If yes, then cpu socked damage has occurred because of improper cpu installation.
Either you yourself or somebody, who installed it for you, caused the damage.
What does Amazon do, when customer damages product and sends it back?
Warranty gets denied.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Was the motherboard sold to you as new/unopened?
If yes, then cpu socked damage has occurred because of improper cpu installation.
Either you yourself or somebody, who installed it for you, caused the damage.
What does Amazon do, when customer damages product and sends it back?
Warranty gets denied.

Amazon was seller and it was new/unopened when i got it last week. I didnt think the return procedure had anything to do with warranty procedure but ill try bending them back either way.

Thanks!