Question Can only use half RAM - seems gpu related

Mar 30, 2019
Hi,
I have a pretty old but still decent pc I built back in 2011. Some time ago, I'm not really sure when really, I started having issues with apps and games crashing all the time. After some digging I found it was because I was running out of memory despite having 16GBs. It's correctly recognized by BIOS and Windows - both show all 4 sticks. It's just that Windows uses half (well slightly more than half - 8.5GBs). I checked the memory with every mem tester I could find and found nothing. What's interesting with that situation though is that it always uses half. When I tried to use 2 sticks for 8GBs total (I was testing each stick and each slot to make sure) it'd use 4.5GBs. When I tried 1 stick, 4GBs total, it'd use 2.5GBs. What's even weirder is one time my GPU drivers crashed because of low memory and after restart didn't reload - all my mem problems stopped. System used all available RAM. When I took the card out entirely and just run the integrated GPU Windows used all RAM - up to 16GBs. When I inserted the card back and the drivers reloaded the problem returned. I tried downloading multiple different driver versions and doing clean installs inbetween but that didn't help. I'm at a loss really so maybe someone could please help me out. Any idea why it's happening and how to fix it? Here are the specs:
Board: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
CPU: i7-2600k @4.3GHz
GPU: MSI GTX1080
RAM: 4x Kingston HuperX @1600MHz