Can OpenGL And OpenCL Overhaul Your Photo Editing Experience?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]My desktop with a GMA 950 IGP has a Pentium Dual-core E1280 (2.00GHz dual core CPU) which is a cut-down version of Core 2 Allandale CPU. It has no trouble running video playback smoothly so long as I don't push its GMA 950 too far with the resolution.I'll look up the exact parts in my Inspiron 1100, but I remember that the CPU is a 2.4GHz P4 and it uses DDR (not DDR2). It has 256MB, the amount that I got it with, spread on two 128MB SODIMMs. It has a 40GB hard drive. It does not have integrated WiFi support, but I put in an adapter. It does okay with Youtube Flash videos, but the resolution needs to be kept pretty low.[/citation]

I have a E6420 CPU and it is barely able to handle 1080p video at a comparatively low bitrate compared to what you can run into now not to mention decoding performance is heavily dependent on what exactly is being decoded on screen and accidentally I found that the downloading of Flynn scene in Tron to be extremely brutal and completely unplayable on my desktop. Now my laptop is another story AMD V140 processor, can handle playback of about 75% of the 720p content I've tried on it and not a single 1080p source.

[citation][nom]azgard[/nom]I have a E6420 CPU and it is barely able to handle 1080p video at a comparatively low bitrate compared to what you can run into now not to mention decoding performance is heavily dependent on what exactly is being decoded on screen and accidentally I found that the downloading of Flynn scene in Tron to be extremely brutal and completely unplayable on my desktop. Now my laptop is another story AMD V140 processor, can handle playback of about 75% of the 720p content I've tried on it and not a single 1080p source.[/citation]

The Core 2 Duo E6420 is a faster CPU than the Pentium Dual-Core E1280 in every way. The CPU is not the cause of your problems. The Core 2 Duo E6420 is also much faster than the AMD V140 in dual (or more highly) threaded work and the E6420 is somewhat faster in single threaded work.

G

Where can I find a copy of the Photoshop blur script used in this test?

G

I've been looking for a great review focusing on Photoshop performance. I am pro photographer/retoucher and other than web use and email use, its all I do with my computer. I hardly ever do anything remotely 3D so any improvement there is irrelevant to me. Brush performance is very important to me, gaussian blur, surface blur are important in Frequency separation operations. I operate exclusively in 16-bit mode so no filter gallery options are available to me.
Despite many web searches and reading, I am still unclear as the reviews and info I find are not about the operations generally that I do so I am unable to clearly see differentials. I have a Thuban 1100t based system now with a Gt 250(?) card. Should I jump to the intel platform or upgrade existing?

Status
Not open for further replies.